Ruger vs. Uberti....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger vs. Uberti....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Ruger vs. Uberti....

I took two of my .45 Colt sixshooters to the range Saturday morning, with loads of 6.5 gr. Winchester 231 and 8.0 grs. Winchester 231 behind a 255 gr. cast SWC bullet. I fired groups, firing alternately so that fatigue would not favor either gun.

The results:

And:

Finally:

This from an indoor range. The rests at the firing line are not very steady, so bench resting is out. I hasten to point out I believe the difference is in the sights, as the Uberti has a nickel silver front sight, while the Ruger has that beautiful quick draw blade on a very good ramp.

These guns were as near identical as possible, 4 3/4" Uberti Flat Top Target and Ruger 4 5/8" Blackhawk, both .45 Colt.

Bob Wright

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I also have an Uberti and 2 Rugers. All in .357 mag. I have found the the same load that shots well in the Uberti does not do quite as well in the Rugers. And the load that does well in the Rugers do not group as well in the Uberti. They would all be deadly shots just as yours are, but they like different loads to shoot the best. Maybe something to do with the rifling?

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.

Last edited by tomingreeneco; 01-23-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Reviews like these are great. Many other people would look at those groupings and immediately dismiss the uberti as a piece of crap, regardless of the fact that the gun is most likely to be more accurate than almost any shooter. Yet Bob here says, oh well, the sights are different...

Thank you.

ETA: I couldn't get groups like that from a laser. Nice shooting.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #4

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice shooting. Can you post pics of your revolver? Gotta show the beauties that they were shot out of.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #5

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
Nice shooting. Can you post pics of your revolver? Gotta show the beauties that they were shot out of.
Well, thank you so much for askin'. Here is the Uberti Flat Top Target:

And this is the Ruger Blackhawk:

Both guns were as near alike as to barell length as possible. The Ruger is noticeably heavier and larger, the Uberti feels almost "petite" when switching from one to the other. And recoil is more noticible in the Uberti.

The nickel silver front sight on the Uberti is my reason the groups opened up so much, not that the gun is less accurate itself.

Bob Wright

Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #6

Liked 519 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 236

I prefer my Colts, but around 10 years ago did purchase the Cimmaron Bisley Flat Top Target 44-40 with 7 1/2" barrel. It's the only SA copy I own. I used to shoot it often, but haven't in the past couple of years. I don't reload and use whatever factory ammo I can pick up. Without doing any experimentation I'd normally achieve about the same grouping that's been shown here from a distance of 25 yards unsupported.

Since I'm really a Colt guy, I hate to say it, but that Cimmaron has out shot many Colts. In addition the action is really smooth and is as good if not better than other Colts I've shot. The sights on this revolver in my opinion are excellent.

I haven't shot a Ruger for many years, so I can't comment on them. I don't care much about +P's, cause I don't use them for target shooting and only use them in my autos for concealed carry.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 01-26-2013 at 08:04 AM.