Ruger vs. S&W - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger vs. S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2416 Times on 1308 Posts
Likes Given: 695

I just picked up a S&W 638 for hiking. 16oz loaded and not quite as bulky as the LCR. The trigger is excellent and it has the snag free hammer so you can still go single action. I load it with 1 shot cartridge and 4 +P hydros. I carry a speed strip with 1 more shot cartridge and 5 more +P hydros.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #22

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The locks failing on smith and wessons is extremely rare. But removing the lock is a very simple job and can be done by about any one who can use a hollow ground screw driver and a few minutes of there time. So its a non issue. Not all smith and wessons have the lock also.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #23

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

buy both, both are great, my everyday carry is a ruger, i put better springs in, i also really like the s&w, [though im not much a fan of airlightweight guns, i like a little heft, but they are good tools, just gotta find right practice ammo]

Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #24

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I own both. LCR in 38 Special and S&w Airweight 438 (black version) shrouded hammer 38 Special.
The Smith recoils harder due to its construction. The LCR has a fully wrapped rubber grip - wrapping all the way around the butt of the gun - across the backstrap. This softens the shot considerably compared to the Smith. The Smith's grips are two piece side grips. The frame of the gun (backstrap) is against your hand - uncushioned by a grip. That is why you feel the jolt more with the Smith. And that is why the Ruger is more pleasant to shoot - even though it is slightly lighter.

The Ruger has what is almost universally considered the best trigger in a gun of that type - very smooth and lighter.

A purely psycholgical aspect difference (from the bad guy's perspective) between the two guns that I have noticed... the LCR has it's steel barrel (silvered and polished) slightly protruding from it's black aluminum casing. This makes the barrel (muzzle) look much more prominent and larger - than the all black Smith muzzle. I know it sounds crazy - but looking at the business end of both guns, the LCR looks larger and more powerful - more threatening (similar to the look that many people like about the 45 ACP muzzle). This, even though both gun are the exact same caliber...

Sights - the LCR has better sights - but they are more prone to hanging up in a tight conceal situation since they protrude out more. The LCR sights are interchangeable though - Smith - not.

The Smith is more concealable - it has a slightly smaller grip - because the LCR has that larger grip that cushions your hand better. So... give up one thing for another.
Lots of small subtle differences between these guns. They are both good guns.

Trigger -LCR
Sights -LCR
Grip - and cushioning - LCR
Weight - LCR
Size - Smith
Muzzle fear factor - LCR

I'm glad I have them both. The Smith was my first - so it is more of an old friend - but the LCR is better in many ways - very enticing. It can also be had in 357 - which the Smith cannot.

Oh - and complaints of "plastic gun" aimed at LCR. Not...
The LCR has an aluminum frame.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #25

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
I own both. LCR in 38 Special and S&w Airweight 438 (black version) shrouded hammer 38 Special.
The Smith recoils harder due to its construction. The LCR has a fully wrapped rubber grip - wrapping all the way around the butt of the gun - across the backstrap. This softens the shot considerably compared to the Smith. The Smith's grips are two piece side grips. The frame of the gun (backstrap) is against your hand - uncushioned by a grip. That is why you feel the jolt more with the Smith. And that is why the Ruger is more pleasant to shoot - even though it is slightly lighter.

The Ruger has what is almost universally considered the best trigger in a gun of that type - very smooth and lighter.

A purely psycholgical aspect difference (from the bad guy's perspective) between the two guns that I have noticed... the LCR has it's steel barrel (silvered and polished) slightly protruding from it's black aluminum casing. This makes the barrel (muzzle) look much more prominent and larger - than the all black Smith muzzle. I know it sounds crazy - but looking at the business end of both guns, the LCR looks larger and more powerful - more threatening (similar to the look that many people like about the 45 ACP muzzle). This, even though both gun are the exact same caliber...

Sights - the LCR has better sights - but they are more prone to hanging up in a tight conceal situation since they protrude out more. The LCR sights are interchangeable though - Smith - not.

The Smith is more concealable - it has a slightly smaller grip - because the LCR has that larger grip that cushions your hand better. So... give up one thing for another.
Lots of small subtle differences between these guns. They are both good guns.

Trigger -LCR
Sights -LCR
Grip - and cushioning - LCR
Weight - LCR
Size - Smith
Muzzle fear factor - LCR

I'm glad I have them both. The Smith was my first - so it is more of an old friend - but the LCR is better in many ways - very enticing. It can also be had in 357 - which the Smith cannot.

Oh - and complaints of "plastic gun" aimed at LCR. Not...
The LCR has an aluminum frame.
I agree with you. The LCR has an amazing trigger and shoots really well. I like mine, but sold my .357 version to get a K frame. I was thinking the Smith would be a better revolver in the long run.

I still have the .38 version and you're right, the frame is aluminum (stainless on the .357), but everything you hold on to IS plastic. :-)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #26

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadSlanger View Post
I agree with you. The LCR has an amazing trigger and shoots really well. I like mine, but sold my .357 version to get a K frame. I was thinking the Smith would be a better revolver in the long run.

I still have the .38 version and you're right, the frame is aluminum (stainless on the .357), but everything you hold on to IS plastic. :-)
Yeah... I opted for the 38 version of the LCR myself rather than the 357. It would have made sense for me to buy the 357 since I already had the Smith 38. But I just couldn't see me realistically ever using a 357 load out of such a light gun.

I am looking around for a 357, or larger, revolver (I like revolvers) and I agree that a larger frame would be better.

Heck ... I was very tempted today at a gun show by a used Ruger 45 single action... Came very close to buying. Just didn't have a good feel for the cost or availability of Colt 45 ammo. ---- And these double action pistols with their swing-out cylinders making loading so much easier have kind spoiled me, maybe.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #27

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

I love my lcr in 38 special but can't imagine the recoil of a 357 in this gun. I recommend the lcr but if you want a 357 I feel the sp101 is a better choice for many reasons.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #28
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post

I'd say yes-
Had a 642 with CT grips- Best revolver for a carry piece i ever had-
I have that exact gun. I love it. Great carry gun.