Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ruger Vs Ruger opinions wanted (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-vs-ruger-opinions-wanted-73913/)

JonM 10-08-2012 02:02 AM

Ruger Vs Ruger opinions wanted

looking at adding a second revolver to my collection. i used to have a ruger blackhawk in 45lc 10 years ago. ended up selling it to help pay for a car wreck. i have regretted selling that gun for a long time. i think it is time to fix that error.

im looking at either the vaquero with extra 45acp cylinder in the 4.6inch barrel or the blackhawk with the same extra cylinder and 4.6inch barrel, both in stainless. the main question is opinions of the fixed vaquero and looks vs the blackhawk flattop and adjustable sights.

im leaning vaquero and just looking for input on both of these from actual owners and shooters.

how are the triggers??

smoothness in cocking??

adjustable sights important or not in a revolver?? if not im going vaquero i think it looks better

JD1969 10-08-2012 02:52 AM

I own a vaquero in the 4.6 inch barrel in stainless, it is a .357. The trigger is a little stiff at first, but it is easy to lighten the trigger. cocking was a little gritty for the first few hundred rounds but has smoothed out a ton. I feel that it is a really nice shooter. As far as the sights go, I'd say it really depends on the intended use. For plinking and general shooting, I don't have an issue with the fixed sights, it groups fine at 25 yards, I have no issue putting 6 shots on a paper plate sized target at that distance. I went vaquero for the same reason, I think it looks better.

Old_Crow 10-08-2012 03:35 AM

I have a 357/9mm Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel. It's all that! If you have oversized hands you will prefer the Blackhawk. I hate the shape of the grip on the vaquero. I am trying to hang on to the vaquero with three fingers like a mouse gun.

tomingreeneco 10-08-2012 03:53 AM

I own both. Use the Vaquero for cowboy action shooting and it is a fine gun. Also love to shoot the Blackhawk. Can not go wrong with either gun. You can always adjust the front blade sight on the Vaquero if it shoots a little off.

nitestalker 10-08-2012 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the Lipsey Ruger Flat Top SS 4 5/8s .45 Colt and .45 ACP 1 of 500. These guns have the best balance of any Ruger SA I have ever owned.:)

JonM 10-08-2012 03:17 PM

thanks for the input it really helps. im going today to take a look at the various models at some of the local shops im sure none of them will have the exact version i want and ill end up ordering one.

Bob Wright 10-09-2012 12:16 AM

I'd go with the Blackhawk. Adjustable sights not only provide a means of sighting in precisely, but offer a better sight picture with the flat top of the rear sight blade.

The frame's curved rear sighting surface is not a definite register as to where to place the front sight blade. Does the top of the front sight blade go tangent to the curve, or secant? Its not as precise as a flat blade rear sight.

Bob Wright

JonM 10-09-2012 01:03 AM

i checked out both at gander mountain today. the blackhawk grip was a tad too big for my preferences compared to the vaquero. both are great handguns with very smooth actions. much better than the older blackhawk i used to have.

i went with the vaquero SS 4.62 barrel and 45acp conversion cylinder. i ordered it from my local lgs i get most of my guns from. the adjustables are nice but ive got more than a few fixed sight 1911's and other semi auto's. most of my pistol shooting has been with fixed sights

zebramochaman 10-09-2012 04:05 AM

The Vaquero is at the top of my wish list. I own a Blackhawk, 44 Mag, Blued w/7.5" bbl that I love to shoot but I love the look of the case-hardened frame.

Wiebelhaus 10-09-2012 04:18 AM

Those new vaquero's are just damn near perfect, I don't have any exp with the other one, sorry.