Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger V.S. Smith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

In my opinion, the L-Frame Smiths are a better choice than the N-framed .357 Magnums. The slightly smaller grips is more easily controlled in rapid DA fire, along with a slightly lower bore axis. My favorite .357 Magnum DA revolvers are my Model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnums.

For everyday carry, its my Model 19 Smith. The Smith & Wessons, of the vintage I own, have the smoothest DA operation of any sixgun I've every tried. Never found a Colt nor a Ruger to equal that, including the vaunted Python.

Bob Wright

Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can't go wrong with either. The S&W will have better/slicker out of box trigger/action but the Ruger is bombproof and timing will remain perfect in the Ruger long after the S&W requires retiming. Now keep in mind this means shooting untold thousands of full power magnum rounds to get to that point. Regardless, the Ruger can be made extremely slick with an good action/polish job. I'm an HUGE Ruger fan so naturally most of my revolvers are Ruger, with a few S&W.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #13

Default wow

wow the Smiths are so much more in price. But i will tell him to dry fire them to see if the action will blind him from the price.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have both and favor Ruger "slightly" for durability. I also have a Colt KC and it is a magnificent revolver.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think the Smiths are a more elegant looking and feeling revolver. The Ruger is more stout and will handle heavy loads on a regular basis. I own both. Both have a place.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I think the Smiths are a more elegant looking and feeling revolver. The Ruger is more stout and will handle heavy loads on a regular basis. I own both. Both have a place.
Ditto on all points.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I,the Ruger is more stout. The forged steel of the Smith is pound for pound stronger than the investment cast steel of the Rugers.

The 627 is a larger frame than the GP-100 and not really comparable. The 686 would be a better head to head comparison. The 627 is the finest .357 revolver available today, IMHO. The Ruger is a good solid revolver but the 627 is a work of art.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I,the Ruger is more stout. The forged steel of the Smith is pound for pound stronger than the investment cast steel of the Rugers.

The 627 is a larger frame than the GP-100 and not really comparable. The 686 would be a better head to head comparison. The 627 is the finest .357 revolver available today, IMHO. The Ruger is a good solid revolver but the 627 is a work of art.
I have the 627-5PC. It really is a work of art: 5" barrel, N frame, stainless, 8 shot, shoots beautifully, has enough weight to dampen recoil with full power loads (46 oz.), but is light enough to be packable in the field.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:47 AM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Robocop-you should feel good that just on this post, this is the 1st time I MUST disagree with you. You're wrong in my opinion. The Ruger investment cast steel is exactly same strength pound for pound as S&W forged. I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but the quality/components of the raw steel matter MUCH more than the method of manufacture. You realize that ALL steel is 1st made by casting-mixing carbon and chromium in with iron in a blast furnace results in steel. Also the Ruger revolvers are stronger due to absence of side plate, front & rear locking, and location of the cylinder locking bolt-or latch as Ruger calls it. So basically a Ruger GP100 IS as strong as an N frame S&W due to those features. And yes, I DO own, and shoot both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Old 01-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Robocop-you should feel good that just on this post, this is the 1st time I MUST disagree with you. You're wrong in my opinion. The Ruger investment cast steel is exactly same strength pound for pound as S&W forged. I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but the quality/components of the raw steel matter MUCH more than the method of manufacture. You realize that ALL steel is 1st made by casting-mixing carbon and chromium in with iron in a blast furnace results in steel. Also the Ruger revolvers are stronger due to absence of side plate, front & rear locking, and location of the cylinder locking bolt-or latch as Ruger calls it. So basically a Ruger GP100 IS as strong as an N frame S&W due to those features. And yes, I DO own, and shoot both.
Dream on! You must be the only person in the world that believes that. Ruger acnowledges it and makes the frame (slightly) bulkier to compensate. Saying cast steel is the same as forged completely ignores the truth.
The flea market sword is just a strong as a 16th century Mamoru Katana? Forging changes the density and strength of steel. Ruger makes many good products. Some even have features superior to the Smiths.