Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan info. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-super-redhawk-alaskan-info-27211/)

birdzman 05-16-2010 01:00 AM

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan info.

Anyone shooting a Ruger Alaskan 454 2.5" barrel? I'm thinking of getting one and would like to hear from anyone who has or had one, and there experience and opinions of it. I am not recoil sensitive and realize it is not an all day range gun.:D

Thanks
John

Biohazurd 05-24-2010 06:06 AM

Though i do not own one i have shot a friend of mines on at lease 10 occations and it is typical of ruger revolver quality,(which is like a Freaking tank.) But my only issue with it is trying to decide its purpose.I have no reason to conceal my weapons when im many miles from other people, I have no need for a .44 mag snubby. nor does most of the other remaining people on this planet. Its too heavy for ccw for alot of people and .44 mag out of as short of barrel as the alaskan has lowered the velocity quite a bit, I feel much more comfortable with my 5.5 super blackhawk when out in the woods. I guess .44 specials would be pretty good target rounds at the range but thats all it would be comical for.

birdzman 06-03-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biohazurd (Post 289520)
Though i do not own one i have shot a friend of mines on at lease 10 occations and it is typical of ruger revolver quality,(which is like a Freaking tank.) But my only issue with it is trying to decide its purpose.I have no reason to conceal my weapons when im many miles from other people, I have no need for a .44 mag snubby. nor does most of the other remaining people on this planet. Its too heavy for ccw for alot of people and .44 mag out of as short of barrel as the alaskan has lowered the velocity quite a bit, I feel much more comfortable with my 5.5 super blackhawk when out in the woods. I guess .44 specials would be pretty good target rounds at the range but thats all it would be comical for.

I can't argue with what you said, but it's one of those things if some asks why, my answer is because I can. I got a used 454/45LC Alaskan for a great price. Like you said built like a tank, excellent fit and finish and fun to shoot.

John

Biohazurd 06-04-2010 02:50 AM

Glad to see you like it. I was only saying that I have no use for it. Im sure there are many people like yourself that find the alaskans quite useful in the field. Have fun!

ScottA 06-04-2010 01:00 PM

I wonder why Ruger doesn't make it with the 4" barrel in .454? I would think that would be a better package than the 2.5", and still quite convenient for back country protection.

superc 06-05-2010 05:31 PM

That has been my gripe about Ruger since the days of the first Redhawk. Why on earth won't they offer a simple no-frills 4 (or even 5) inch fixed sight variant in .45 Colt? Something along the lines of a Service-Six, but on a Redhawk frame in .45 Colt. No question in my mind it would sell faster than they could make them, but they won't do it. Sigh.