Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > ruger super redhawk alaskan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

If I was in a rural non-populated location like Alaska, outside the city, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 454 if brown bear attacks were a real possibility.

If however their was any chance of having to worry about innocent bystanders, houses, and other trappings of civilization then the 454 caliber would not be a consideration for me. As a bear defense handgun it has it's merits but I find it is probably too much for a realistic handgun to use against bipedal aggressors. The short barrel means a lot of the bullet energy is wasted but it still packs more of a punch than a longer barreled .44 magnum. That "punch" comes with a bullet that to my knowledge has not been downloaded to the point that a bullet will stay inside the bipedal target and dump all it's energy. If you're in a populated location that means you may hit the innocent person behind your attacker after your bullet goes through your bipedal attacker.

Given that consideration I wouldn't want to be you in court, either civil or criminal. While you could still have a through and through wound of an innocent with a lesser caliber the odds, with proper bullet/load selection, are lessened. Another consideration is how well can you shoot such a gun quickly? What are your split times? In bear defense the common school of thought is that you will only get one round off and it needs to be a CNS hit. That's why I like my Single Action .44 Mag for bears and even that caliber is more than I desire to carry in any town in the lower 48.

Now with all that said having a gun that is "fun to shoot" does not necessarily mean "good for defense".

Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A couple more thoughts on the Alaskan .454... 1) It can also fire .45 Colt rounds, which are much more manageable in terms of recoil 2) Although it's an extremely well built revolver, it weighs a ton! Even unloaded, carrying this brick around could wear out a guy...

But, if someone figures out a way to conceal it, the Alaskan would certainly be sufficient in any defensive use.

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #13

Picking up my own Alaskan (.454) tomorrow. Can't wait! Willkeep you all updated on my thoughts.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #14

Liked 257 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
The Alaskan is 2.5 inch barrel. I assume you're speaking more towards the 6 inch judge.

EXPENDABLE
a 2.5" .454 ? holy crap ..... thats gotta be one hellova gun

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #15

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36

a 2.5" .454 ? holy crap ..... thats gotta be one hellova gun
More like a flame thower.. Cool until the tendenitus sets in.

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The FA .454 Casull on the bottom is a 4 3/4", and is pretty easy to carry strong side small of the back..

Old 01-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2552 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
I'm curious about using it for a carry gun. I've seen several reviews that say its a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. I've tried 357 and 44, didn't think either of those was too bad. Read and interesting article on here about ballistics from a morgue, it recommended the larger caliber stuff. Figure something that big, as long as you can manage a hit, NO ONE will want to play with you anymore.

EXPENDABLE
Carry? Concealed? #1 it is HEAVY even with the short barrel. #2 it is fat. The cylinder diameter is big. #3 the grip is still big. I would rather carry my 4" 629.

Defense from humans? The human that can stop a 454 in the body has not been born yet. You will undoubtedly shoot completely through any potential adversary. Follow up shots are going to be slower than Christmas.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #18

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75370
The FA .454 Casull on the bottom is a 4 3/4", and is pretty easy to carry strong side small of the back..
I now have a model 83 454 8" barrel FA

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Can anyone tell me about the ruger super redhawk alaskan first hand? Curious about the 454 casull recoil. Ability to use it as a carry gun. Likes and dislikes. Etc.

EXPENDABLE
I have this revolver and love it. The .454's recoil is sharp but manageable. i was particularly drawn to the Alaskan as a carry piece in bear country, and because it chambers .45colt which is by it's own right a fantastic caliber.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Carry? Concealed? #1 it is HEAVY even with the short barrel. #2 it is fat. The cylinder diameter is big. #3 the grip is still big. I would rather carry my 4" 629.

Defense from humans? The human that can stop a 454 in the body has not been born yet. You will undoubtedly shoot completely through any potential adversary. Follow up shots are going to be slower than Christmas.
+1. This is definitely not a routine CC weapon. It'd work ok under winter clothing but it is bulky and heavy. The Casull is also far too much ctg for SD against humans. But the .45Colt is a fantastic SD caliber and, in the Alaskan, the recoil is minor.