Ruger super redhawk alaskan 44 mag - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger super redhawk alaskan 44 mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4822 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The Ruger RH is a rock solid platform. A little bulkier than a comparable Smith, but solid
Is it really bulkier than my Smith 629? I've not handled the Ruger but my Mountain Gun is a WHOLE LOTTA GUN!

Tack

Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2017 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

The short barrels on the Alaskans were for a faster draw and very short range. It is a self defense gun to give you a chance in an animal attack. They were never meant to be hunters. The 454 is preferred over the 44 mag in Alaska.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #13

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The short barrels on the Alaskans were for a faster draw and very short range. It is a self defense gun to give you a chance in an animal attack. They were never meant to be hunters. The 454 is preferred over the 44 mag in Alaska.
Agree. If you are thinking Alaska I would want more than a .44mag so if thats the hold up I would take that off the table. In fact....if it were me (and many guides will tell you this) I would prefer Bear Spray as a primary and a 12 gauge as my plan B. Grizzly's are not to be taken lightly and if at all I would prefer avoiding shooting one. A bad shot with them is the end of your life. Ever hear of buck fever? Grizzly fever has much bigger consequences. Bear Spray stops them in most cases without pissing them off or further incident.

As one Alaska guide said......
"If you think a Grizzly is really going to attack to kill you...RUN...RUN like hell! It will give you something to do with the last 10 seconds of your life."

Last edited by northhike; 02-27-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2017 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

They also said to put a zipper in the seat of your pants. It will give the bear something to slip on while you are running. There have been some reported incidents where the victims did not have time to get their rifle or shot gun or long barreled handgun into play. The bears will hunt you and ambush you.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike

Agree. If you are thinking Alaska I would want more than a .44mag so if thats the hold up I would take that off the table. In fact....if it were me (and many guides will tell you this) I would prefer Bear Spray as a primary and a 12 gauge as my plan B. Grizzly's are not to be taken lightly and if at all I would prefer avoiding shooting one. A bad shot with them is the end of your life. Ever hear of buck fever? Grizzly fever has much bigger consequences. Bear Spray stops them in most cases without pissing them off or further incident.

As one Alaska guide said......
"If you think a Grizzly is really going to attack to kill you...RUN...RUN like hell! It will give you something to do with the last 10 seconds of your life."
Well if I miss or only wound with 6 shots I'll be pretty screwed, but if I get eaten by a big grizz I'll die doing what I love... Hunting. One gun would never be enough for me to feel safe. If I was going up there I'd have the big bore revolver in one hand and a para p-14 loaded up with the heaviest 45acps for the backup backup haha