Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ruger SP101 Concern (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-sp101-concern-71230/)

Tackleberry1 08-27-2012 06:59 PM

Ruger SP101 Concern

Notice I said concern, not problem, because honestly I'm not versed enough in revolvers to know if my experience is normal.

I own 2 wheel guns. A Smith 629 .44 Mag and the Ruger .357

With .38 Specials I have no issues other that the small amount of gasses that escape from between the cylinder and the forcing cone, however, with .357 Mags I get A LOT of gasses and what feels like slag.

I've got to very cautious to not get my off hand to far forward or ZOWEY them hot gasses will get your attention.

No injuries or blood mind you, just a noticible difference between the two calibers.

I'm wondering if this is a phenom with all SP 101's or a revolver issue across the board.

I've not noticed it from my 629 but that's a much larger gun with a much longer cylinder so...

Do I need to be concerned?

Tack

mountainman13 08-27-2012 07:13 PM

A headspace gauge wouldn't be a bad idea. It's likely fine. All revolvers vent gas etc around the front of the cylinder. If you were to put your thumb at the side of a s&w 500 cylinder it could take your thumb off.

Gh0zt36 08-27-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 (Post 917761)
Notice I said concern, not problem, because honestly I'm not versed enough in revolvers to know if my experience is normal.

I own 2 wheel guns. A Smith 629 .44 Mag and the Ruger .357

With .38 Specials I have no issues other that the small amount of gasses that escape from between the cylinder and the forcing cone, however, with .357 Mags I get A LOT of gasses and what feels like slag.

I've got to very cautious to not get my off hand to far forward or ZOWEY them hot gasses will get your attention.

No injuries or blood mind you, just a noticible difference between the two calibers.

I'm wondering if this is a phenom with all SP 101's or a revolver issue across the board.

I've not noticed it from my 629 but that's a much larger gun with a much longer cylinder so...

Do I need to be concerned?

Tack

What exactly is " Slag " ? If you're getting lead shaved off and expelled with the gas your timing or cylinder alignment could be slightly off.

I had a Dan Wesson 15-2 that had interchangable barrels and you had to set the barrel / cylinder gap each time you switched barrels or after a few hundred rds < the barrel nut would back off from the vibrations >

The gap was set to .006 . so find a similar feeler gauge and see how much play you have in it . Although the sp-101 is fixed barrel I don't know whether it's pinned or threaded you shouldn't have play in it .

That being said you coulda lit a cigar off the flame my Wesson threw out the barrel gap. it was a .357 as well

regload 09-04-2012 03:21 AM

Using factory ammo? Most factory stuff is loaded close to max, which in a .357 is more than twice (sometimes three) times the chamber pressure of .38 Special. Expect a LOT more blast with the .357. Also expect a lot more energy. That's why they invented the caliber in the first place.
You can handload a .357 way down to .38 Special, and anything in between. If it's a Ruger you can find "Ruger only" handload data, which would really give you a bunch of blast. But those loads are essentially practically worthless in everyday life.
I regularly handload .38 Spl in .357 cases to practice DA mode (timing, etc.), then use the full-house .357 to keep my reflexes "honest" ( eliminate flinches, etc.).

levelcross 09-04-2012 03:40 PM

Tack, I found out the same way with my SP. The pressure difference of the .357 will make a difference in the gasses escaping over a .38. I had mine checked as it was my first wheel gun and just wanted to make sure, the head gap was around .006 if memory serves me right.

Work on your grip some and hopefully that will fix your well done thumb.

I just checked it and it still is .006

slim325 09-04-2012 03:54 PM

I get the same thing also.When I shoot a lot I wear a light glove on my left hand.If ya think 357 is bad u should see a 460 or a 500

Tackleberry1 09-04-2012 06:04 PM

Sounds like my Ruger is functioning normally so I'll stop worrying about it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tack