Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > ruger sp101

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ruger sp101

hey guys,i have ben thinking about gettin this ruger sp 101,that i saw at the gun store.It fits real nice in my hand.Other than its a 357 mag,i dont know much about the sp 101.Any info and feedback would help.Thanks.Oh yea,its a 357 with a 2.75 inch barrel.

I won't be wronged,I won't be insulted,and I won't be laid a hand on.I don't do these thing's to other people and I expect the same from them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #2

I have had one for about 10 years. Not very accurate beyond about 10 yards - but what would you expect out of such a small handgun. Wear ear protection when you take it out to the range - with the 157 grain .357 mag loads it is deafening. Also keep a good grip on it - lots of recoil with the big loads. It is what it is - and that is a powerful little gun that can easily be carried in your front pocket for discrete, personal, close range defense. If you plan on target shooting, don't expect much. But it is a Ruger and that means quality and dependability - just what one wants in a personal protection weapon.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #3

IMO, the Ruger SP-101 is one beautiful little Gun. Should've bought one years ago, and maybe one day I'll own one.

A very nice small package, easily concealable, and of course with any of the .357 loads, is some awesome firepower at your disposal.

As well, this gun can also shoot the myriad of .38, and 38+P Rounds on the market, which gives this gun a great deal of versatility. If you find the recoil with some of the .357 rounds a bit hard on you, simply scale down to one of many available .38 Rounds. Mark

Old 10-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

I have one and would recommend it in a heartbeat. It's just a fantastic small revolver. I recommend you change out the grips. I put a Hogue mono grip on mine. It makes a big difference when shooting magnum loads.

Shooting magnums through it really isn't practical for carry due to the limitations of the barrel length, but it's still kind of fun. When I do carry it, it's loaded with .38+P Hornady Critical Defense.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I bought a used sp101 and I am quite impressed. I would say it is not easy to shoot small groups past 10 yards but the mechanical accuracy is there. I Spent some time researching the difference between 357 and 38's in a short barrel and became a believer in the 357 110 grain round.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sp 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx4fssc View Post
I have had one for about 10 years. Not very accurate beyond about 10 yards - but what would you expect out of such a small handgun. Wear ear protection when you take it out to the range - with the 157 grain .357 mag loads it is deafening. Also keep a good grip on it - lots of recoil with the big loads. It is what it is - and that is a powerful little gun that can easily be carried in your front pocket for discrete, personal, close range defense. If you plan on target shooting, don't expect much. But it is a Ruger and that means quality and dependability - just what one wants in a personal protection weapon.
Bought one for my wife almost 16 years ago. She loved it the first time she ever picked it up. She says it just "fit".

Love the gun and I beg to differ about accuracy. At 10 yards my wifes gun will make a ragged hole consistently.

I have a S&W 940 and it out performs my gun regularly ( but I love my 940 anyway).

Nice gun and my wife would probably get rid of me before that revolver.

"Those who would give up essential freedoms for a little temporary safety, deserve neither freedom nor safety." Ben Franklin

NRA Benefactor Life
US Army 1972-1980
TSRA Life;GOA Life

Old 11-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #7

I like mine alot. My Daughter likes it more. She borrowed it indefinitely when she got her first place.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have one and love it. Yes its heavy, but thats why I love her.
As others have described it....the SP101 is a "tank!" I too agree with the Houge grips. It really makes it a sweet gun and takes some of the recoil out. I bring mine everywhere....including camping.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The sp101 the most reliable small frame revolver you can buy

Old 11-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1732 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Mine is the 2" bobbed hammer. I had the trigger worked over and have Crimson Trace LG111 grips. I can handle the magnums and it is usually loaded with 125 gr Critical Defense 357. The 38 spl +P are light loads. It is one my main carry guns and is my main hiking gun. It is probably the last handgun I would sell.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."