Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   ruger sp101 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-sp101-49067/)

1911newbee 09-30-2011 10:17 PM

ruger sp101

hey guys,i have ben thinking about gettin this ruger sp 101,that i saw at the gun store.It fits real nice in my hand.Other than its a 357 mag,i dont know much about the sp 101.Any info and feedback would help.Thanks.Oh yea,its a 357 with a 2.75 inch barrel.

fx4fssc 09-30-2011 10:38 PM

I have had one for about 10 years. Not very accurate beyond about 10 yards - but what would you expect out of such a small handgun. Wear ear protection when you take it out to the range - with the 157 grain .357 mag loads it is deafening. Also keep a good grip on it - lots of recoil with the big loads. It is what it is - and that is a powerful little gun that can easily be carried in your front pocket for discrete, personal, close range defense. If you plan on target shooting, don't expect much. But it is a Ruger and that means quality and dependability - just what one wants in a personal protection weapon.

Markd51 10-01-2011 12:37 AM

IMO, the Ruger SP-101 is one beautiful little Gun. Should've bought one years ago, and maybe one day I'll own one.

A very nice small package, easily concealable, and of course with any of the .357 loads, is some awesome firepower at your disposal.

As well, this gun can also shoot the myriad of .38, and 38+P Rounds on the market, which gives this gun a great deal of versatility. If you find the recoil with some of the .357 rounds a bit hard on you, simply scale down to one of many available .38 Rounds. Mark

ScottA 10-01-2011 05:58 AM

I have one and would recommend it in a heartbeat. It's just a fantastic small revolver. I recommend you change out the grips. I put a Hogue mono grip on mine. It makes a big difference when shooting magnum loads.

Shooting magnums through it really isn't practical for carry due to the limitations of the barrel length, but it's still kind of fun. When I do carry it, it's loaded with .38+P Hornady Critical Defense.

arizona 10-03-2011 10:43 PM

I bought a used sp101 and I am quite impressed. I would say it is not easy to shoot small groups past 10 yards but the mechanical accuracy is there. I Spent some time researching the difference between 357 and 38's in a short barrel and became a believer in the 357 110 grain round.

kvtcomdo 11-30-2011 09:06 AM

Sp 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by fx4fssc (Post 590186)
I have had one for about 10 years. Not very accurate beyond about 10 yards - but what would you expect out of such a small handgun. Wear ear protection when you take it out to the range - with the 157 grain .357 mag loads it is deafening. Also keep a good grip on it - lots of recoil with the big loads. It is what it is - and that is a powerful little gun that can easily be carried in your front pocket for discrete, personal, close range defense. If you plan on target shooting, don't expect much. But it is a Ruger and that means quality and dependability - just what one wants in a personal protection weapon.

Bought one for my wife almost 16 years ago. She loved it the first time she ever picked it up. She says it just "fit".

Love the gun and I beg to differ about accuracy. At 10 yards my wifes gun will make a ragged hole consistently.

I have a S&W 940 and it out performs my gun regularly ( but I love my 940 anyway).

Nice gun and my wife would probably get rid of me before that revolver.:D

Bushman 11-30-2011 06:46 PM

I like mine alot. My Daughter likes it more. She borrowed it indefinitely when she got her first place.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...RugerSP101.jpg

northhike 11-30-2011 07:06 PM

I have one and love it. Yes its heavy, but thats why I love her. :D
As others have described it....the SP101 is a "tank!" I too agree with the Houge grips. It really makes it a sweet gun and takes some of the recoil out. I bring mine everywhere....including camping.

rugernut 11-30-2011 07:25 PM

The sp101 the most reliable small frame revolver you can buy

JTJ 11-30-2011 08:06 PM

Mine is the 2" bobbed hammer. I had the trigger worked over and have Crimson Trace LG111 grips. I can handle the magnums and it is usually loaded with 125 gr Critical Defense 357. The 38 spl +P are light loads. It is one my main carry guns and is my main hiking gun. It is probably the last handgun I would sell.