Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ruger single-six vs GP100? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-single-six-vs-gp100-19144/)

BEEFEATER 10-14-2009 01:53 PM

Ruger single-six vs GP100?

Hi guys,this is my first post.I have very minimum experience with firearm but I went to range last week and rented 9mm and had a blast so I decided to buy my fist handgun.After I did some research I narrow down to Singlesix or Gp100.To me Single Six would be a great starter gun but even with 22wmr Can I use it for home protection?I can't afford to buy another gun anytime soon.Now for Gp100 I think it's can be use both range/home protection but Do you think for starter like me and I want my wife to learn how to use it too gp100 is not right for a first gun?:confused:

NGIB 10-14-2009 02:31 PM

A GP100 is a fine revolver and a solid choice for a home defense gun. To keep practice cost down, you can train with cheaper .38 ammo. There's no .22 I'd recommend for a home defense gun.

As far as cheap practice goes, a .22 is a great way to start. A single-six is a classic, however, the skills you learn with it don't necessarily transfer to a common home defense gun. A single action revolver is very different in operation to a double action revolver (with swing-out cylinder) or a semi-auto pistol...

gregs887 10-14-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 173927)
A GP100 is a fine revolver and a solid choice for a home defense gun.

Never mind the fact that they are built like tanks. Great gun, I love mine.

CA357 10-14-2009 03:44 PM

If you can only afford one handgun right now and for the foreseeable future, I suggest the GP100. It delivers much more firepower than a .22 of any variation. If you want it for the range and self/home defense, it will handle all of those roles admirably.

The Single Six is a classic and a fun revolver to shoot, but it's not what I would choose in a defensive situation.
.38 and .357 ammunition are by no means cheap anymore, but what is your life worth?

cobra22 10-14-2009 03:45 PM

One more vote for the GP100. I love mine and as said, its above built like a tank.

Gojubrian 10-14-2009 08:24 PM

I'll echo the guys sentiments. .22 is not ideal for home defense. The GP 100 is a great revolver and you can use .38 specials for range time. Can't go wrong with a proven ruger revolver!

diggsbakes 10-14-2009 11:09 PM

Definitely the GP 100 for home defense. But I see a Single-six on the shelf of every gun store I shop at and you can pick up a used one for $200 or less and they are great to practice with.

Every time I go to the range I take my single six to warm up with and practice different techniques and weak hand shooting. It is extremely cheap to shoot and you will gain comfort with firearms in general. But as stated above you should also be practicing unloading/reloading with the double action using speedloaders.

Get both if you can. But if not get the GP100 first.

WDB 10-15-2009 01:51 AM

Welcome to FTF, take some time and introduce yourself on the new members thread. With that it will give members a little more information about yourself (expereince with firearms, expected use of a firearm and a bit about you and where you live) that let us give you an informed opinion. We have many member that come to the forum with little expereince and there are many that will help you with questions.

For a new/newer shooter the best advice is to find a range that rents and shoot several different firearms. Tell those working at the range your firearm expereince, the expectation you have of the pistol. They should help you find the firearm that its you best.

Grey 10-15-2009 05:23 AM

Buy both. This hobby costs $ as you'll soon figure out.

spittinfire 10-15-2009 11:33 AM

My dad has a single six, great gun, fun to shoot, accurate, no complaints at all. Using a 22LR or wmr for self defense is less then ideal.

I've shot GP100 and I own an SP101, both are great weapons and as mentioned, built like tanks. I would echo many here and go with the GP100. You can use 38's for practice and to learn. There are also some good self defense rounds available in 38, I are my wife with 125gr Gold Dots. Once you get used to that you could always jump up to 357 mags which is a well established defense round.
I would caution you to make sure you're comfortable with the gun before making the jump, the two rounds have two very different personalities.