Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger or S&W wheelgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey bear, you know far more about triggers then I do but stock vs stock, a 29/629 feels way better in my hand then a Redhawk.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 AM   #22

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I guess I'm going to be different and state that I like Redhawks a lot better than S&W 29/629. I really don't understand why everyone says the trigger on S&W is so much better. It's true the S&W SA trigger is better out of box but a good smith can easily change that on the Ruger. In MY opinion the Ruger Redhawk has a smoother & lighter DA trigger than the S&W-especially after you slick it up. Of course I do all my own action jobs but it's pretty simple to slick up a Ruger Redhawk.
Very good point.

My Redhawk has had some trigger work done in the past according to the man who sold it to me. (a friend, fellow club member, and shootin' buddy) I wouldn't want that trigger to be any lighter or smoother. I have to coach myself to anticipate the hammer dropping far faster/easier than some of my other revolvers in DA. As far as the single action, the difference in my Smiths vs. Rugers is so negligible it's not even worth mentioning.

On the flip side every Smith I've shot is smooth and consistent. My SP101 began with a very high resistance and lengthy pull. It has since lightened up after many range trips as well as nightly dry-firing 100-300 times.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:42 AM   #23

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I have nothing against Ruger. I own several of their autos. But I recently bought a 629 with a 4 inch barrel. That has to be the finest revolver I have ever handled. Even with full power 44 mag loads it is easy to handle. I have the rubber grip. I love the adjustable rear sight. The trigger is so smoooooth! I can say nothing bad about S&W.

I have not shot a Redhawk. But I can not imagine it being this nice of a gun.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i owned a 629 mountain gun. i've fired the redhawk. the redhawk was nice, but i didn't care for the grip/frame geometry. it wasn't unpleasant, just felt odd to me. trigger pull wasn't bad. recoil was ....well, it's a 44 mag. if recoil is that big of an issue, don't buy a 44.(not too bad for a big bore...seemed to absorb it well)

the 629 was a pleasure to shoot. shockingly light. trigger pull was typical of s&w revolvers. silky smooth. felt recoil was far more noticable than the ruger.

either way, you're not going wrong.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #25

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I guess I'm going to be different and state that I like Redhawks a lot better than S&W 29/629. I really don't understand why everyone says the trigger on S&W is so much better. It's true the S&W SA trigger is better out of box but a good smith can easily change that on the Ruger. In MY opinion the Ruger Redhawk has a smoother & lighter DA trigger than the S&W-especially after you slick it up. Of course I do all my own action jobs but it's pretty simple to slick up a Ruger Redhawk.
I did my own slick up as well and double/single action are smooth as a hot knife through butter. The Redhawk is definately a heavy revolver, some of that is the extra thick cylinder walls which to me is great as that weight soaks up much of the recoil of the 245 gr Keith hard lead full load rounds as well as the full load 300 gr JHP rounds that I hand load.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #26

my 629 is performance shop hunter with removable weights it wonderful

Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #27

Default Which to Choose...in .44mag

I chose a Stainless Ruger Redhawk .44mag. with the 7.5 inch barrel. I use it to go after pigs in thick brush. A pig is an ornery critter and they will sometime hide in the thickets. Don't mind a pig in the bush when I have my Redhawk in hand. I do mind the Rattlesnakes though. Now where is that dog?

Ruger or Smith and Wesson...you can't go wrong with either.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #28

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipLash View Post
I I do mind the Rattlesnakes though. Now where is that dog?
Dog vs. rattlesnake? Uhhhhhhhhhh. . . . . lived around both throughout my entire existence and have never seen a scenario involving the two come out on the positive side?

They DO make a cartridge with a bunch of little BB's in it. . . I even think they call it (in slang) SNAKE-SHOT!

I usually prefer a larger stone or the flat end of a shovel. But maybe these snakes have figured that one out.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #29

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If I had the S&W I would be staring at it all the time pretending to be Dirty harry and probably careful with it becuase it's so valuable.The Ruger would be a gun I would rather shoot alot because it's so tough and not quite as valuable so If I scratch it or whatever,it's no big deal.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves