Ruger or S&W wheelgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger or S&W wheelgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger or S&W wheelgun

Smith & Wesson Model 29 or Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. Which you you choose and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I love Rugers. I think they're solid and give good value for the $. If I were facing this choice I would buy the Smith in a minute. Reason? I find the Redhawk to be a heavy, clunky, graceless piece of iron. And don't even get me started on Super Redhawks. Yes, I'm sure a Redhawk will outlast a Smith, but I think a new Smith will outlast me. Back in the late 70s, 80s, Smith was having some quality issues and would soon shoot out of time with heavy loads. A believe they rectified that situation in the late 80s, early 90s and as far as I know that situation hasn't re-reared it's ugly head. The 629 is a graceful and elegant firearm. Nice to look at, lovely to hold. I myself am well content with my Ruger Bisley. Not beautiful, not elegant, slightly lighter than a Redhawk, comfortable and accurate.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2168 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Unless you're planning on dragging it through the swamps or dropping it off a mountain, get the 29. It is just one of the all time classic revolver designs.

Then you can stand in the mirror and practice your "I know what your thinking..." speech.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm sorry but that's like asking Ford or Chevy. Personally I like S&W but I own a Ruger and regularly shoot my dad's. I like the Smith looks, fit and finish, trigger and to me they just feel nicer in my hand. Both companies make a great gun.
Ruger is known to be a little tougher and Smith usually has a better trigger. For what it's worth, I wouldn't trade my 629.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I'm sorry but that's like asking Ford or Chevy. Personally I like S&W but I own a Ruger and regularly shoot my dad's. I like the Smith looks, fit and finish, trigger and to me they just feel nicer in my hand. Both companies make a great gun.
Ruger is known to be a little tougher and Smith usually has a better trigger. For what it's worth, I wouldn't trade my 629.
Indeed, I own both and concur to what he said.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 05-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Both are outstanding revolvers. Get them both.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

An old shooter I know used the analogy of the Smith being a fine sports car and the Ruger being a Dodge Ram pick-up. Both have their strong points and both have certain attributes that make them unique.

Any Smith is just simply a pleasure to shoot, accurate as hell and beautiful as can possibly be.

The Ruger Redhawk is a solid tank, up to any grueling task and extremely reliable.

Both guns are magnificent in their own ways. Both guns are also very good shooters. I tend to use my Rugers more, because it doesn't ruin my day when they come down with a scratch or two. My Smiths get shot almost as much as the Rugers, but don't get carried as much.

Do yourself a favor and GET BOTH!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Nuff said!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-15-2010, 05:16 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm S&W when it comes to revolvers, then again my next purchase will be a Ruger LCR. Different tools for different jobs. Two great options got to love the country we live in where this is such a tough choice!

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

S & W has a better trigger pull. Ruger can handle higher power. S & W has a higher re-sale value. Rugers are well made, S&W's are well made.

I couldn't decide, so I bought both. End of problem.

"IF" I was desperate for money and I had to sell of one of my (many) 44's... I think I'd have to sell a... KIDNEY first!

my44s.jpg   44mag_guncase.jpg  

Last edited by Mark F; 05-15-2010 at 11:12 AM.