Ruger Revolver - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1753 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9689

None of the above. Ruger GP100 six inch. The only .22 pistol I have is aJennings J22. The only reason I have that is because it was my mother's, and it was left to me when she passed.

On the other hand, if I had to pick one, I would go with the Single Six. I have shot one on a few occasions and like the feel of them. Good balance, feels good in the hand, and a fun little plinker or small game getter.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #22

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by regload View Post
None of the replies to my post affects my opinion of SAO. All of the Rugers I suggested shoot BOTH SA and DA. And, they are quite accurate in SA mode. The mere fact that a revolver shoots only SA does not make it more accurate than one which shoots both SA and DA. I know; I have three of them.
Furthermore, SAO isn't any less expensive, either.
Some people prefer the classic grip, it just points better for some people. Also, why does a gun HAVE to be practical or make sense? Some people just want something because they think it's cool, and I'm fine with that.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #23

Liked 1143 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter
Why six? "cause we're all cowboys at heart! It may get empty quicker, but you can reload it sooner. So you can load one , skip one, load five. So you have an empty chamber for your "burying money"- I know a little small for that especially nowdays.
Seriously, mine is the old style (no hammer block), when teaching firearms safety it allows me to teach the Skeeter Skeleton's load one "bean", skip one "bean", load four "beans", cock and lower onto the empty chamber-as most old sixguns operated including Colts.
Never been a better gun writer than Skeeter, and from all accounts an exceptional person.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 118 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 104

I'll agree with Kfox75 regarding the 6" GP100 - its a lovely hand gun. Great all-arounder. But so is a nice Super Blackhawk with a handy 5.5" tube.

In my mind six holes are what should be in a revolver's cylinder. That said, I do believe I'd make an exception for a rimfire shooter. Ten holes would be just dandy in that kind o' iron.

SA vs. DA? Kinda depends on what the caliber is under discussion. I can't shoot full house .44s DA worth a tinker's damn. I'd rather shoot 'em SA and I'm very fond of a Super Blackhawk with a round trigger guard for such shootin'.

Full-house heavy .357 loads even out of the 6" GP100 give me trouble DA. When I carry the heavy stuff in the field its for natural world predators and I'd shoot in SA as my targets will be farther than in an urban scenario.

Carrying the same GP for social work will see the cylinder sporting a sextet of 140 gr pills loaded to a level I can control accurately in DA mode. That said, I seldom carry a revolver for social work - that's what I have a 1911 for.

In these times where the revolver has taken a tactical back seat to the auto-stuffer, the choice of a SA revolver vs. a DA revolver is usually a personal choice as much as anything.

A truly wise man owns both and accepts the emotional challenge of which one to carry every morn when he arises.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #25

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

So Matty....what did you finally buy....or was this just a question in general?

Old 03-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
I'll agree with Kfox75 regarding the 6" GP100 - its a lovely hand gun. Great all-arounder. But so is a nice Super Blackhawk with a handy 5.5" tube.

In my mind six holes are what should be in a revolver's cylinder. That said, I do believe I'd make an exception for a rimfire shooter. Ten holes would be just dandy in that kind o' iron.

SA vs. DA? Kinda depends on what the caliber is under discussion. I can't shoot full house .44s DA worth a tinker's damn. I'd rather shoot 'em SA and I'm very fond of a Super Blackhawk with a round trigger guard for such shootin'.

Full-house heavy .357 loads even out of the 6" GP100 give me trouble DA. When I carry the heavy stuff in the field its for natural world predators and I'd shoot in SA as my targets will be farther than in an urban scenario.

Carrying the same GP for social work will see the cylinder sporting a sextet of 140 gr pills loaded to a level I can control accurately in DA mode. That said, I seldom carry a revolver for social work - that's what I have a 1911 for.

In these times where the revolver has taken a tactical back seat to the auto-stuffer, the choice of a SA revolver vs. a DA revolver is usually a personal choice as much as anything.

A truly wise man owns both and accepts the emotional challenge of which one to carry every morn when he arises.
I appreciate the idea of matching the loads with your needs. Regardless of caliber, if you like what you are shooting you will spend more trigger time and accuracy increases.
There is a place for autos I , but I can't believe how much it bothers me to lose brass. Thumb-busters, who doesn't love to be a cowboy?
Since the late 60's I've been shooting JSP 158 gr backed by 13 1/2 gr of 2400 with a small pistol primer in the .357 and on occasion have thought about bumping it up to 14. But, why? It comes out of my 4 inchers at 1200+ fps (and out of my 3 and 6 inchers at 1100+fps) and has done what I need it to do. It will never set the world on fire: nor will it prematurely destroy a prized firearm. If I need more - then there are the .44 s. With them 240 gr JSP backed by 19 1/2 gr of 2400 and large pistol primers for 1200+fps.

Shoot often , shoot well, most of all enjoy it. At a range in Superior, Wisconsin, I watched a elderly gentleman in his eighties shooting a collection of S&W .44s. He was grinning from ear to ear and doing a super job. May we all be so fortunate.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5995 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Because sa guns are faster shooting than da guns when you know a little about hiw to shoot em.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
What is the differences between the ruger gp100, sp101, blackhawk, red hawk, and vaquero?
The GP100, Sps 101 and the Redhawk are SA/DA Revolvers. The Blackhawk and Vaquero are SAO.

SPS-101 - Small Frame revolver with fixed sighs available on a number of calibers and barrel lengths. As far as I know is only available in Stainless Steel. Mine is chambered in 357 Mag and has a 3" bbl. 6 round capacity.

GP-100 - Medium Frame revolver with rear sights adjustable for windage and elevation. Available in multiple calibers and barrel lengths. available in either stainless or blued. Mine is a 4" bbl SS. six round capacity.

Redhawk - large Frame Revolver with rear adjustable sights for windage and elevation. Available in larger calibers and variable barrel lengths. made in either stainless or blued. Mine is a 44 mag with a 7.5" bbl. Six round capacity.

Blackhawk - Large Framed Revolver with rear adjustable sights for windage and elevation . Available in calibers across the board and in various barrel lengths. Mine is a 45 Colt w/7.5"bbl. Six round capacity.

Vaquero - medium Framed Revolver in the fashion of the old west. Available in various barrel lengths and calibers. This is the style gun I grew up with as a child viewing all of the old west TV shows. They are especially attractive with the case hardening of the frame. I do not currently own one. It is on my list.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Correction. The SPS-101 357 Mag is 5 Round capacity.