Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ruger Redhawk Barrel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-redhawk-barrel-85292/)

2ndAmendmentFreedom 02-27-2013 03:12 AM

Ruger Redhawk Barrel

Hey everyone,

I've shot a few hundred standard .44 Mag through my Redhawk and I've noticed that in the last inch of the barrel there is some kind of very thin film that is flaking. Is there some kind of lining in those barrels? The stuff doesn't come off easy and I'm not particularly interested in brushing super hard to get it off. However if I take a needle to it I can very easily scratch it, it feels very soft. I'm wondering what I'm looking at though, it sure doesn't look like shooting residue. I only shoot FMJs.

Thanks.

nitestalker 02-27-2013 03:50 AM

How are you cleaning the barrel? I suspect it only copper jacket metal. These deposits usually occur along one groove. Cause shooting bullets that do not fill and up set in forcing cone and gas cuts.
You should be able to remove this with a copper solvent. No Ruger barrels do not have plating in the bore.:)

2ndAmendmentFreedom 02-27-2013 04:37 AM

I use Hoppe's 9. Already had the barrel soaked with it for 48 hours.

Viking 02-27-2013 04:42 AM

Stainless or blued?

nitestalker 02-27-2013 04:50 AM

Hoppes #9 is a powder solvent. Get some copper solvent. :)

2ndAmendmentFreedom 02-27-2013 05:12 AM

Stainless.
Hoppe's 9 also works on Copper, probably slower though :) What do you guys recommend for copper fouling? Don't want anything too harsh like Sweets 7.62 though and as little toxic as possible.

nitestalker 02-27-2013 05:23 AM

Why would you not use Sweets? If you are not going to use a copper and lead solvent you are going to damage the forcing cone in time. And no the Old Hoppes #9 will not clean the jacket metal from a modern magnum. You should use a fiber bore brush and clean the barrel.

hardluk1 02-27-2013 03:42 PM

It sounds like lead build up but could be copper . No mention of bullets usd for the 100 rounds, or velociy of the ammo. KG12 is the best copper cleaner and works on lead and its safe to use. Sweets and a few others. Also plane ole Kroil Oil well lift copper and lead. If its messed up good you may have to fill the barrel and let it set over night dependine what happened. I hate to mention chior boy but a piece of that stuff wrapped around a bronxe brush can strip out what the flacking after it is loosened.

tell us more about the loads you used.

2ndAmendmentFreedom 02-27-2013 04:56 PM

Ordered a bottle of Montana X-Treme Killer 50BMG. That should do. I'm pretty sure it's copper as leaving the Hoppe's 9 overnight gave the barrel a blue tint. I actually read that thin copper deposits can look like a flaking film.
I shoot 1300FPS 240gr Copper Jacketed rounds.

hardluk1 02-27-2013 11:32 PM

Not that hot a load. Maybe a combo of bullet make and a new barrel that needs some break in time.