Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger Redhawk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas City,Kansas
Posts: 65
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ruger Redhawk

My gun shop has a used Redhawk .44 mag for $390. It is in good/very good condition. This would be my first Ruger as well as my first .44 Mag. If I can get the money together before its gone should I jump on this? Pros and cons to the Redhawk or .44 Mag?

__________________
EagleDreamer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 08-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gatoragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North GA. Back home in Dixieland.
Posts: 3,383
Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Default

You might want to check prices on Gunbroker.com just for comparison, but it sounds like a pretty fair price to me.

Since it is used, does the LGS have a way to let you shoot it first?



http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=244537708

__________________

Last edited by Gatoragn; 08-04-2011 at 01:58 AM. Reason: added link
Gatoragn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,839
Liked 1274 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleDreamer View Post
My gun shop has a used Redhawk .44 mag for $390. It is in good/very good condition. This would be my first Ruger as well as my first .44 Mag. If I can get the money together before its gone should I jump on this? Pros and cons to the Redhawk or .44 Mag?
Ewwww, no, it's an awful deal, Rugers suck! Do not buy it. Ummm, and while you're at it, can you send me the phone number of your gun shop?

LOL! Seriously, Ruger is a great company to deal with and I have always loved their customer service. With a .44 magnum, it definitely has a kick to it, and if a lot of rounds have been put through it, it sometimes may need a gunsmith to tighten up the timing and replace the forcing cone, neither one is very complex or expensive, however a need for repair MIGHT be why it is priced so low at the counter.

Also, to avoid hard recoil, you can interchangeably use .44 Special rounds which is the exact same caliber with less powder in it - less punishing on you and the gun. If it shoots, I know you will enjoy it, though!

Gunbroker.com prices as of this date and time are $400-$800, but most of those are bids and they are not done yet - they have days to go. I hope it helps!
__________________

.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)


Last edited by TekGreg; 08-04-2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Added GunBroker.com prices
TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CA357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 19,871
Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default

It's a steal in California, everywhere else in America it's a very good price.

__________________
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
CA357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 237
Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

You better jump on that deal.I havent seen one that cheap in a very long time.The pros are its stronger than most other guns and can be loaded hotter.It is just as acurate as any gun and its a ruger made in the usa.The down side is they are slightly heavier than a S&W or Colt.The actions are not as smooth and the finish is not as polished.
The redhawk has a reputation as having tank like durability.Its almost impossible to wear one out.

__________________

Last edited by onenut58; 08-04-2011 at 03:03 AM.
onenut58 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas City,Kansas
Posts: 65
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

Ewwww, no, it's an awful deal, Rugers suck! Do not buy it. Ummm, and while you're at it, can you send me the phone number of your gun shop?

LOL! Seriously, Ruger is a great company to deal with and I have always loved their customer service. With a .44 magnum, it definitely has a kick to it, and if a lot of rounds have been put through it, it sometimes may need a gunsmith to tighten up the timing and replace the forcing cone, neither one is very complex or expensive, however a need for repair MIGHT be why it is priced so low at the counter.

Also, to avoid hard recoil, you can interchangeably use .44 Special rounds which is the exact same caliber with less powder in it - less punishing on you and the gun. If it shoots, I know you will enjoy it, though!

Gunbroker.com prices as of this date and time are $400-$800, but most of those are bids and they are not done yet - they have days to go. I hope it helps!
Thanks for your help and to pay you back I will NOT give you the number lol. I have bought about 10 guns from this place and never had a problem, although I know this gun may not have been treated as well as the others or it may have. The main reason I can get it so cheap is cause my cousin works there and I can get used guns for 10% over what they paid for it.

Thanks for bringing the .44 Special to my attention. I was about 95% sure I could shoot those but like I said I have never had a .44 mag or even shot one.
__________________
EagleDreamer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas City,Kansas
Posts: 65
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenut58
You better jump on that deal.I havent seen one that cheap in a very long time.The pros are its stronger than most other guns and can be loaded hotter.It is just as acurate as any gun and its a ruger made in the usa.The down side is they are slightly heavier than a S&W or Colt.The actions are not as smooth and the finish is not as polished.
The redhawk has a reputation as having tank like durability.Its almost impossible to wear one out.
Thanks I had read that they were pretty tough guns. Now if I can scrounge up the money I will go get it.
__________________
EagleDreamer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas City,Kansas
Posts: 65
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Well I got it! Cant wait to take it to the range.

image-1886195887.jpg   image-586684389.jpg  
__________________
EagleDreamer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 5
Likes Given: 5

Default

Sweet. Looking forward to the range report.

__________________
Kevin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gatoragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North GA. Back home in Dixieland.
Posts: 3,383
Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Default

Nice lookin' hog leg.

__________________
Gatoragn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger Redhawk in .45 Long Colt ??? FreedomFighter69 General Handgun Discussion 5 10-19-2010 03:23 PM
Silencer for Ruger Super Redhawk? fish Revolver Handguns 14 12-03-2009 03:56 AM
Ruger Redhawk price kevlar Revolver Handguns 5 08-02-2009 12:56 AM