Ruger New Vaquero???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger New Vaquero???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger New Vaquero???

hey, i just wanted some opinons on the Ruger New Vaquero SA Revolver... im thinking about getting the 5.5" barrel... havnt decided what finish to get... anyone shot them??? whats a good caliber to get??? .357??? .45??? the largest caliber ive shot is a .38 special... but im not afraid of a little recoil though... any advice or recomindations would be great... im not trying to have to spend over $650 but i want a Single Action Revolver... thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2008, 04:21 AM   #2

I would suggest you buy it in 45 Colt. For one it is lighter than any other caliber because they are all the same frame and the 45 cal holes are bigger than 357/38 holes meaning less metal. Standard "cowboy" loads are fairly light and recoil should not be a factor. Also I would get either a 4 3/4" or a 7 1/2. The 5 1/2" while nothing wrong with it doesn't seem to be as popular as the other two. That is just my opinion and the reasoning for it. I might also suggest that you look to Uberti instead of Ruger. The Ruger is a much stronger gun and the Uberti is an 1873 design, but they are just cool. If you look around you could buy the Uberti/Navy arms for about $300.00. I have 5 different variants of them and never had a problem. You might go to Guns America or Gun Broker and take a look.

Last edited by h2oking; 09-29-2008 at 04:40 AM.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have to take the oppisite side. I'm FIRMLY in favor of ruger single action revolvers and own several. The ruger is stronger,has transfer bar safety where you can SAFELY carry 6 rounds instead of 5 in the uberti,is american made. My nephew has a blackhawk with 4 5/8 barrel in .45lc. it balances well but is less steady to aim compared with a longer barrel. He too was interested in a vaquero but is now very glad I turned him onto the blackhawk. I like blackhawks better because of the adjustable sight. It's my opinion that actually being able to hit your target is more important than "looking cool" or historially correct unless you are going to compete in cowboy action shooting. Then to be legal according to sass rules it has to be vaquero. To me,it's just a hassle to havta aim off just to hit your target if the fixed sights ain't hitting to point of aim(and most don't)-close but not acceptable for my accuracy standards. Another of my reasons for liking the blackhawk adjustable sighted model is the fact that different loads will shoot to different points of impact and it's nice to be able to sight it in to hit exactly where I aim.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have to agree with Stalkingbear, a Super Blackhawk would be a better choice than a Vaquero. Of all my six shooters, my Vaquero is the least fired because fo the fixed sights.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:44 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have the New Vaquero in .357 mag, polished stainless. It's a fun gun, reliable, and you can save $$ with 38's.

... ed ...
MAINE - The Way Life Should Be ...

Old 10-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Vaquero's are fun to shoot. Because of the fixed sights you learn to shoot by compensating your aim. They are good for intuitive shooting as well.

This is my Vaquero. Ruger polished Stainless Steel 44 Magnum.

vaquero44.jpg  

Old 10-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #7

Liked 258 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you're dead set on a Vaquereo, by all means get one. I have an older Vaquero in .45 Colt, with 4 5/8" barrel. Don't shoot it much, but glad to have it. It's my workshop gun, kept in my shop for times I'm not wearing my gun.

As to sighting, mine shot pretty well on with my preferred handloads, and only required a little file work to sight in at 25 yards. Even fixed sight guns can be tweaked to sight them in with a little effort.

But, as has been stated, I, too, prefer the Blackhawk. Especially after things are done, words spoken, and cash exchanged over them.

Bob Wright

Old 01-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #8

hey thanks everyone for all of your help... yeah i like the blackhawk and all but have decided on the vaquero because im going to do the SASS and stuff so i need it for that particular reason... havnt bought it yet still saving lol but just the same thanks again...

Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 AM   #9

oh yeah by the way ive decided to go with the 5.5" barrel in the .357 caliber... again thanks to you all...

Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #10

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

You will love the Vaquero. I recently bought my first one, because I too am thinking about getting into SASS, I like my first one so much I just ordered my second one. They are not that expensive to get. I bought 2 of the new special editions for $455 each. I think that is a very good price for a very good gun, that will last for years.

pix1787201046.jpg  

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.