Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ruger LCR or SP101 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-lcr-sp101-24721/)

Gojubrian 03-15-2010 10:11 PM

Ruger LCR or SP101

I'd like to get a revolver. Which one should I get?

It will be used at the range and for carry rotation. The LCR is lighter, but the sp101 can shoot .357's.

Thoughts??

stalkingbear 03-15-2010 10:25 PM

It depends on how you'll be carrying it. Will the extra weight of the SP101 be noticeable and/or objectionable in your mode of carry? That's something you'll have to decide. Handle both and see which fits your hand better. Which 1 points more natural? The SP101 will shoot .38, .38+P, and 357. The LCR will shoot .38 & .38+P. Are you really set on .357 or will .38+P do the trick? You'll likely carry the LCR more due to it's lack of weight unless you have a good holster system.

bigdaddy 03-16-2010 01:06 AM

I love my sp101 . I like the ability to shoot the 357 and 38 rounds versus just 38.mine is the smooth hammer one that i can fit in my front pocket with an inside the pocket holster.

Shihan 03-16-2010 02:10 AM

I think you may like the Elsie Arrr. It is what all the cool people have. :D My wife loves hers. Cane seems to enjoy his, as do all the others that have one.
Just look how lovely.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...trotty/LCR.jpg

canebrake 03-16-2010 02:14 AM

The Elsie Arrr!

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...DSCF1211-1.jpg

<1 pound loaded!

diggsbakes 03-16-2010 03:28 AM

Tough choice! I like 'em both. Own (shoot the living hell outta) the SP101 and have shot and really liked the LCR. So this one is a tough question for me especially because I don't know your body type or dress, but here it is.

I would choose the SP101 again because of it's strength. This thing is solid as a rock! I once dropped it on my bathroom floor after standing up from a ummmm. . . seated position and man, my poor floor! .38 specials in this thing feel like a .22 and .357s are very tolerable (Houge grip recommended). I can barely tell the difference between .38 and .38 +p. This is obviously due to the weight of the gun. The 101 is much heavier than the LCR, however, once you get used to carrying it you won't hardly feel it. The 101 is also an accurate little bugger and will take so much abuse. I love the extreme durability factor when choosing any firearm, but the LCR is no slouch.

The LCR is light to the point that you would probably not even feel it once you became accustomed to carrying it. We shot .38+p through my buddy's for hours and it just kept chewin' 'em up. Recoil is significantly more noticeable, but very tolerable. It has it's own charm to it. I will be adding one to my rotation as well by the summertime.

The main reason I like the SP101 over the LCR is because the ability to shoot .357s. We live, hike, camp in bear country and I carry hunting rounds in it while in the mountains (and it chews those up w/o a flinch). However, it only serves as a backup to the .44 mag.

As I say w/ every revolver "GET BOTH"

UnderFire 03-16-2010 04:08 AM

Last time I was at the local gun store they had new SP101's chambered in .357MAG marked down to a very reasonable price. So I was looking hard at one. I like 'em, the feel is right, balance is correct, the wheel glides out when you slide the release. I like the low profile sights it had, won't get hung-up/snag when pulling it out in a hurry. If I remember correctly it had the 3" barrel. If I got the gun it was going to be an item I was going to keep in my truck. I figured a revolver would be the best firearm for a vehicle because they need less maintenance than a semi-auto pistol. I looked at it for a long time the owner of the store said he would drop the price even lower than the advertised special price. I probably should have bought it. I'll wait for the next sale...you just never know what awaits you.

Jpyle 03-16-2010 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderFire (Post 249571)
Last time I was at the local gun store they had new SP101's chambered in .357MAG marked down to a very reasonable price.

Bud's lists the LCR at $398 out the door, SP101 in .357 Mag about $50 bucks more.

Gojubrian 03-16-2010 05:37 AM

@ Bear - you're right about the weight being a determining factor for this one. It will most likely be for summer carry when the kimber is just too much. I'm leaning toward the LCR because of this.

@ Shihan - Yes, all the cool kids around here have one. I handled them both,but haven't shot either.

@ Cane- This is all your fault. How did you get the white logo and scribe? :p

@ Diggs- I do like them both and would like to have both. The question would probably be which one first? :cool:

@ Underfire- Have you shot the lcr?

@ Jpyle - I've seen them on gunbroker for $384!! The sp101's are considerable more. :cool:

Tackleberry1 03-16-2010 06:24 AM

Sp 101

1 Attachment(s)
Got to shoot an LCR on Sunday...
Owned an SP 101 for 4 years...

Both are nice, shootable, and reasonably accurate for thier purpose. Either would be a good choice.

My 101 seems to group +P .38 better than .357 Mag but I love the ability to UP load it, especially when I'm hiking or fishing in Cat country...and let's face it, by time you know you have a Cat problem your at contact distance anyway.

I understand weight is an issue but for CC purposes I'd suggest trying a belly band before going to a light weight gun. I'll admit, I looked down my nose at them for years and in the process aquired a $2000.00 holster collection.:eek:

I could have spent $45.00 on three different sizes of belly bands and packed much more comfortably. Aquiring the holsters was fun but I'd hindsight I'd rather have used that money to add a Less Baer to my collection.