Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > RUGER LCR-have you seen the video?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Aesthetically, I find steel Smith J frames more appealing, but I would definitely get an LCR if they were for sale in my country. It might not be a looker, but it seems well thought out for its intended use, I'd love one for the hot, tropical summer months down here.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I bought an LCR about 2 months ago. I've shot about 200 rounds through it, and it's a great revolver for concealed carry. I carry mine in my front pocket in an Uncle Mike's #4 holster. My ammo for carry is Winchecter JHP, +P, and occasionally I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

I also have a Taurus 85 Ultra Lite. It too is carried occasionally, using the same ammo.

I like both revolvers but the LCR is a little smoother. However, I also like the SA mode of the Taurus...

ruger_lcr1.jpg   taurus_ultra_lite.jpg  

Old 09-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
I really don't see a need for a 357 in a 2" snub. From what I hear your really not getting much more energy out of a 357 than a 38+p in a 2" barrel, just more noise and flash. I got a 38 s&w airweight and has plenty of snap. I would imagine the 357 would get a little uncomfortable after a few rounds.
A bunch of people say this, but the facts don't agree.

According to Ballistics by the inch a snub nose shooting Cor Bon's hot 125gr .38 load will achieve a velocity of 854ft/s. The same Cor Bon ammo in .357 runs at 1257ft/s.

.38 = 202 ft/lbs of force

.357 = 438 ft/lbs of force

I'm quite sure that most .357 rounds will substantially outperform most .38 rounds. If you happen to find a comparison that has the .38 even or ahead ballistically of the .357 in any barrel length, then that's either a .357 charge in a .38 case or vice-verse.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #14

Liked 113 Times on 87 Posts

I am getting the feeling most people did not grow up where they could step out the back door and shoot a 22 by the age of 8. Or that everybody else no longer grew up playing cowboys and indians, but gangstas or whatever. I am reminded of Crocodile Dundee. "That's not a knife." Well, maybe not quite that bad.
"That's almost not a gun." I think I'll keep the Rugers I have.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I am getting the feeling most people did not grow up where they could step out the back door and shoot a 22 by the age of 8. Or that everybody else no longer grew up playing cowboys and indians, but gangstas or whatever. I am reminded of Crocodile Dundee. "That's not a knife." Well, maybe not quite that bad.
That wouldn't be correct.
We had a 100 yard range off our back patio. I was shooting a 30 06 at 7, and a 300 H&H Magnum at 12. I have a large collection of auto loaders and revolvers. And yes, I have an LCR & UltraLite as depicted in the upper photos. So, what's your problem?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #16

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
* snot bubble *

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #17

I own both the S&W 642, and the Ruger LCR. The Ruger is a far superior pistol in my opinion. I bought the LCR w/CT grips for my Fiancee, and ended up toting it a little myself. I don't even mess with the 642 anymore. The trigger on the LCR is magnificent.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #18

Someone please educate me on the LCR trigger pull. I understand the engineering and concept of the new trigger. I think ruger is on to something. I just haven't pick one up just because I think it is uglier than sin. I have a smith airweight and might be a little bias. I like the heavier trigger pull on my carry weapons and like to hear the two clicks just before the hammer falls. Sell me on the LCR. What is it that makes it so great. Is the trigger smoother? Does the trigger have less pull than the smith? What???

I do not want this turn into a battle of preferences of smiths and rugars. I like and own both. I just want to know if the LCR is worth having in my collection, despite it's uglyness.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 09-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
I got one last week and I really like it. I have only put 50 rounds through it though.. I didn't buy it for a range gun but if I'm gonna carry it I wanna be proficient with it.
The trigger is great !! It carries very well due to its weight and size. and its rated for plus p ammo.. Not sure if the smith is ??
Thinking all the newer smith .38's are rated for +p ammo

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Old 09-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Someone please educate me on the LCR trigger pull. I understand the engineering and concept of the new trigger. I think ruger is on to something. I just haven't pick one up just because I think it is uglier than sin. I have a smith airweight and might be a little bias. I like the heavier trigger pull on my carry weapons and like to hear the two clicks just before the hammer falls. Sell me on the LCR. What is it that makes it so great. Is the trigger smoother? Does the trigger have less pull than the smith? What???

I do not want this turn into a battle of preferences of smiths and rugars. I like and own both. I just want to know if the LCR is worth having in my collection, despite it's uglyness.
I believe that it is definitely worth owning. You can put a little work into it and pretty it up if you're proficient with a dremel tool. I'm not certain as to what they did, but i can tell you that it has a better trigger pull than any other revolver i have ever owned. It just feels good.