Ruger LCR barrel
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Ruger LCR barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
Yea
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ruger LCR barrel

I bought a Ruger LCR 38 special for a pretty good price from Fin Feather Fur the other day. I'm thinking the reason for the good price was that there may be some damage to the barrel. It's just not quite smooth I think. This is the best picture I could get of it. What do you guys think? And if it is damaged, is there any way I can smooth it out?

File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.2 KB, 91 views)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2014, 01:06 AM   #2

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2092 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 6245

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to stop by introductions and post us a note about yourself. Others will stop by and greet you.

I wouldn't expect a glass smooth bore from this level of pistol. Shooting, and cleaning will probably improve it over time.

If your spent cases show no signs of overpressure, then all should be fine.
If your fired bullets hit the target, then all should be fine.

I wouldn't expect the LCR to compete with a top end, longer barreled revolver. Not in fit, finish, or accuracy.

If you have signs of overpressure or can't hit the 7 yd target, then you may need help from your dealer and Ruger.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #3

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I would go to a big box store or where ever you have to go to see a new Ruger. The barrel looks rough in the picture, like someone shot the gun until the barrel is worn out.

Us looking at bad pictures are not a substitute for a qualified gunsmith. I would see a gunsmith. If you got ripped off you need to know about it.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:39 AM   #4
Yea

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I know it's not the best picture, sorry about that. It's hard to get a good light source in the barrel. I haven't shot it yet, so I'm going to do that. But going and checking out a new one is a good idea too. Thanks.

I cleaned the barrel and it was pretty stinking dirty. I've always cleaned all my guns pretty meticulously, so I've never seen one get messed up from being left dirty/shot dirty. Could that be a culprit maybe?

Old 12-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #5

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If you shoot it , it will have a dirty barrel . It was test shot and not cleaned at the factory and packaged as is just like others makers. Don't worry about it. One reason every newbe should break a firearm down and clean it well be going to the range . Now go get some range time

Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #6

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

All of my snub nose revolvers have a clean rifled barrel, even my 32 long that was made when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I have an Sp101 that has a clean rifled barrel. I saw some pictures of the LCR bore. The rifling was the same as my SP101. They were professional photos I found with an image search.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
Yea

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I should have clarified that I bought it used from fin feather fur, not new. And this isn't my first pistol, or my first revolver. My SP101 has a great looking barrel, that's why this one looking a little rough bothered me. I still haven't been to the range with it though. Hoping to make it out next week. As long as it shoots straight, I'll be happy.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I really could not tell for sure, but it looked to me like the roughness was up and not down. If that is the case it is probably just lead left for bullets. If that is the case you can clean it by firing some jacketed bullets through it.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3530 Times on 2025 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Could you post a picture of it cleaned?

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #10

Liked 327 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 132

From the photo it looks like it was not cleaned after firing. Here's a great cleaning method (from the manual that came with my Wilson CQB:

Wrap some copper mesh around a bore brush & push it in & out of the barrel several times dry - no solvent or oil. Any lead in the barrel will come out in silver slivers. Follow with a solvent patch & check the barrel.

kfox75 Likes This