Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger LCR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
I carry my LCR22 when hiking and it's a great camp gun. The centerfire LCRs in 38/357 have a good reputation. I have one in 38 and it has been troublefree. My 22 though is my favorite LCR and is just a hoot to shoot or train with.
What's your accuracy with that 22. It looks like a fun 22 to shoot. Some people say - "nah - the barrel's to short for any kind of accuracy". Sure longer barrel would tend to be better - but I've seen some pretty fine shooting from snubnose guns - though it's been in larger caliber. That's why my question.
No doubt it would be a good training gun!
I'd like one!
I have the 38 LCR...

Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm leaning towards the one chambered in 38. Thanks for the pictures as well

Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #13

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If i was to buy a small frame revolver for myself i would get the .357 version and shoot .38's for range practice and carry .357's. I just bought my wife a S&W 638 in .38+p but thats what she liked so i bought it for her.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #14

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

The LCR was surprisingly accurate, I too had my doubts until I started putting rounds downrange. Try one you won't be disappointed.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #15

I own it in .357. Love it always in my front pocket. Change the front site to the xs dot and that makes a huge difference.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #16

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt232 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Ruger LCR and wanted to know what you guys think about them. My main question though is it a good carry weapon?
Hi MT. I've been shooting and reloading for over 40 years. I've won more than my fair share of IPSC and bowling pin shoots. I have a shooting range on my property and recycle all of my lead to cast my own bullets. I have lots of guns and reload for many calibers. I shoot A LOT. I'm also an X-Marine, and I teach computer classes at a technical college.

My 67 year old girl friend had been shooting my Ruger GP100 a lot, but she wanted her own gun for concealed carry and home defense. We got her the LCR 38 ($399) not the 357 ($499). Even though I reload, we were shooting so much that I was having a hard time keeping up. So we also got her the LCR 22 ($459 and 8 shot). It's great for lots of cheap practice, and will pay for itself in no time if you don't reload. Neither of her guns has a laser. You can either spend lots on ammo for the 38, or use that money to buy the 22 and have two guns. My girl friend shoots the 22 75% of the time and the 38 25% of the time. The 22 can be your New York reload. (For those that don't know what a New York reload is, it's when your primary gun is empty and you don't reload it. You just pull out a second gun.) If you can only afford one gun now, I'd suggest the 22 because it's way more affordable to shoot. But every time you go shooting with it, put $40 in a jar, cause that's what it would have cost you to shoot the 38 (100 rounds). In no time, you'll have saved enough to buy the 38. 98% of the people who own handguns can't hit squat because they don't practice. They're living under a false sense of security. They would score miserably (be dead) in a tactical match, which doesn't involve anywhere near the pressure and fear they would experience in a real life confrontation.

I have shot both guns extensively. The LCR 38 is one sweet little gun. Light as a potato chip, reliable as dirt, butter smooth trigger, and accurate as all heck. The 22 is almost exactly the same except it has 1 more pound in the trigger pull because its a rim-fire. When you pick up both, you can't tell the difference between them. There is some blue energy absorbing material which runs down the full length of the back-strap, underneath the grip in the 38. It really helps to reduce the felt recoil quite a bit. Notice how little the 38 recoils in the below video. Don't believe the myth that snubbies or mouse guns are hard to shoot or are inaccurate. With some proper and patient instruction, my girl friend can handle both of her guns really well. She's deadly fast on pie plates at 21 feet with both guns. I painted the front sight on her 38 white. I tried both white and red, but she preferred white. There are vids on youtube that explain how to do it. It's pretty simple. While there are some after-market grips available, she prefers the stock grips on both guns. This is strictly a matter of personal preference. Some may prefer the after-market grips. She didn't. While these aren't target guns, they both shoot nice groups at 50 feet. It's really up to the shooter. Just watch Hickok45, in the video below, pick off some distant targets with the 38. That gong he shoots at is 80 yards distant! And they're a blast to shoot! Drop one in your front pocket and you will quite literally forget that it's there. It really is that light. I've included some video reviews on both guns. There are tons more available on youtube. While I'm sure that there are many excellent guns in this category, I can only speak about these two because of my own extensive personal experience with both of these guns. You won't be disappointed with either one. I carry a Ruger SR40C ($419), but I would have absolutely no qualms about carrying the LCR 38. It really is an excellent concealed carry weapon. Load it up with some Hornady Critical Defense ammo, and you're good to go. The 357 version could also serve double duty as a woods gun. But for 2 legged critters, the 38, with modern self defense ammo, gets the job done with plenty of authority. Always remember, it's not the caliber that counts. What counts is your skill (marksmanship, gun handling, and tactical) and presence of mind. Practice, practice, practice.

Happy shooting, and be safe.

Semper FI

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 09-08-2012 at 02:39 PM.
JTJ Likes This 
Old 09-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have the LCR in 357. Great little gun. I shot 110gr and 158gr 357 in it. the 158gr was very hard on the hand, but the 110gr was controllable.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt232 View Post
Very nice, have you heard of any problems with the .357 version?
Yes, check the cylinder release and lock-up on the .357 LCR and compare it to the .38 Special version. For some reason the .38 is smoother both opening and closing and will lock up sooner when you close the cylinder.

At one time I swore by the LCR .357, but after sending my daughter's back to Ruger 4 times I now swear at them. Several trips to different gun stores have shown me that this is not an uncommon problem when they are new, and conversations with others tell me it gets worse with use.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

How long before you started having problems? I have the .357 too, but no problems yet.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #20

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Yes, check the cylinder release and lock-up on the .357 LCR and compare it to the .38 Special version. For some reason the .38 is smoother both opening and closing and will lock up sooner when you close the cylinder.

At one time I swore by the LCR .357, but after sending my daughter's back to Ruger 4 times I now swear at them. Several trips to different gun stores have shown me that this is not an uncommon problem when they are new, and conversations with others tell me it gets worse with use.
Oh... That is a real downer. I have the LCR 38. But I have always trusted Ruger to do everything well. I own a number of Ruger guns and each has been flawless. I've come to expect a high quality gun in anything Ruger makes. The other manufacturers seem to have their problems occassionally - even the good companies. But Ruger has always seemed above all that.