Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ruger LCR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-lcr-68409/)

3spur 07-17-2012 09:30 PM

Ruger LCR

Want to get one, should I go for the .22 with 8 shots or the .38, I'm a women and would like to use it at the range and for conceal carry maybe,
Also what are you opinions on this gun?

KeysKelly 07-17-2012 09:33 PM

I have a LCR in .357 Magnum. I mostly shoot .38's out of it for comfort but chose the .357 just to have the option. I carry it often and as a woman I feel very comfortable with it.

gilfo 07-17-2012 10:06 PM

I to have the 357 and shoot 38's out of it for the milder recoil. The lighter 38 version is to me a handfull. If you have the money get both, the 22 to practice with at the range and the 357 for carry. I plan on getting the 22 when my hunchback uncle straighens out or when I can get the money up.

kalboy26 07-17-2012 10:22 PM

I got the LCR not to long ago. Partly for me, but also for my wife since she wanted something she could shoot and carry. We got the .357 and she loves it with .38s. It is a good size for her to carry as well. The .22 would be really fun though for Target practice.

vincent 07-17-2012 11:18 PM

It's not the best range gun in the world, it's mainly a point and shooter for up close and personal 'encounters'. At 12 feet and in, you can still have fun though...

If you're going to carry it for SD, I'd stay away from the .22 and go ahead and get it chambered in .357 and carry .38+p ammo, like others have said, the .357 is a handful. That chambering gives you the option of shooting both calibers.

That being said, I love mine, great trigger, easy to conceal just about anywhere on your person or in a handbag/fanny pack. Revolvers are pretty much idiot proof, so it works well for me...:D

string1946 07-18-2012 11:15 PM

I like them.

I shot one that belonged to a friend and really liked it. I was shooting 38 spec. +P and it wasn't bad. It would smack the palm of the hand pretty good but not as bad as some I have shot. His had the laser from the factory option and I would want that if there was anyway I could swing it. A handgun that small is hard to aim and the laser made it much easier. I would practice with lite wadcutter ammo and shoot whatever I decided as carry ammo enough so I would know what to expect. If you ever had to fire it to save your live you wouldn't feel the recoil anyway. Just my not so humble opinion.

Larry

string1946 07-18-2012 11:31 PM

Also I think you should decide if your going to carry concealed (which I recommend). If your not then I would get something bigger and easier to shoot.

canebrake 07-18-2012 11:35 PM

Get the 357 like others have suggested.

I got mine when they first came out and only in 38 spl.

NO regrets, it's the best South Florida CCW for those hot muggy days.

Two more suggestions;
  1. Get it with the Hogue Tamer grip. Don't waste your cash on the laser and hard plastic grip set-up. It doesn't need the laser because it's the best point shooter I own.
  2. Get a Remora holster and find out what real concealed carry comfort is all about!

string1946 07-19-2012 03:07 AM

I respect canebrakes opinion but you may have to defend yourself in a place with a lot of other people around. You will be held accountable for every projectile you launch and what or who they hit. Point shooting has its place at belly rubbing distance. I prefer to have all the control I can on point of impact.

3spur 07-19-2012 03:46 PM

Thanks for all the info guys and girls