Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger GP100 Squibs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 43

My buddy told me he saw something,maybe online somewhere,where these guys were testing S&W and a Ruger revolvers with intentional squibs.I guess the Ruger did blow up very quickly but the S&W did not.The S&W just shot the squib right out with the next round.This is why I bought a S&W,I think Rugers are fine guns but S&W may be just a little better.I should ask him for a link and watch & share it,I just took his word for it.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 12-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My uncle has a six in smith and had a bullet stop down the barrel it can happen with any body's gun

Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #13

Liked 103 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 219

thankyou for posting this, I have the predecessor to the gp100, the Police Service Six, and ive been loading .38 for practice, and have had squibs, had 1 where the bullet only traveled 3 of the 4 inch barrel, luckily i noticed that the bullet hadnt left the muzzle. I have never heard that before about the .38's, always heard that yeah its safe, gonna try loading 357 now and see how well it goes [was wanting a light target load though, maybe switch to magnum primers? i was using 6 grains of hs-6, cci 500, win brass, and ranier 125 gr copper plated flat point, suggestions?]

Old 03-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1808 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 557

You have a problem with your hand loads. Could be contaminated powder. Other possibility: 6 grains of HS-6 is a very light load and you may not be getting proper ignition. The Lee book lists 7.3 grains as the low and 7.8 grains for the max for jacketed 125 grain in 38 spl with a minimum OAL of 1.425. I know you are supposed to use lead loading data for Rainier but I would go to at least the minimum of 7.3 grains. Double check the data as I have found the loading data varies considerably. You could also google rainier loading data for a proper load.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #15

Thank you, yeah when i was loading 7 grains i wasnt having squibs, but the loads seemed dirty, though reliable, i chose hs6 to try to be an all around powder, but for light loads i should maybe find a different powder, what would you suggest if i wanted to load it down to say, the equivalent of a 38 long colt?
Any experience with hp38?

Old 03-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #16

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

In 30 years of loading I had this happen exactly one time. I once inserted a bullet into a .45acp brass that had no powder in it. The force of the primer going off was just enough to barely push the bullet into the barrel. I had to touch the bullet with a cleaning rod just slightly to remove it. I didn't have to worry about another round chambering because there was not enough pressure to move the action.

I have a question about the people who fired multiple rounds into an obstructed barrel. Come on, couldn't they tell that the bullet didn't hit anywhere or anything when they pulled the trigger? Handguns are usually used for targets at closer distances.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
In 30 years of loading I had this happen exactly one time. I once inserted a bullet into a .45acp brass that had no powder in it. The force of the primer going off was just enough to barely push the bullet into the barrel. I had to touch the bullet with a cleaning rod just slightly to remove it. I didn't have to worry about another round chambering because there was not enough pressure to move the action.

I have a question about the people who fired multiple rounds into an obstructed barrel. Come on, couldn't they tell that the bullet didn't hit anywhere or anything when they pulled the trigger? Handguns are usually used for targets at closer distances.
for me that would fall under the rule "after an abnormal discharge, immediately unload and check for bore obstructions."

Old 03-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
for me that would fall under the rule "after an abnormal discharge, immediately unload and check for bore obstructions."
Exactly! Why would someone try to keep shooting when something like this happens? I would not want to be shooting with someone who did this.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
Exactly! Why would someone try to keep shooting when something like this happens? I would not want to be shooting with someone who did this.
Probably lack of experience. Everyone starts with their first round fired and gain experience from there. Some get the benefit of shooting with a skilled mentor, others don't. Some shoot a lot, some don't, so the time to get the experience can differ greatly.

When reading some forums, you'd think everyone was born an experienced marksman and philosopher. Not.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #20

I agree, but we are talking about a potentially explosive situation here and careless actions can easily hurt or kill people. Beginner shooters really should get assistance from the experienced ones.