Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger GP100 owner - questions regarding narrowing barrel and clinking extractor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger GP100 owner - questions regarding narrowing barrel and clinking extractor

So I bought one of these fine revolvers a couple months ago and have a couple questions for more knowledgeable people than I.

First off is one thing I noticed initially is that the extractor (that's what I call it, dunno its real name - the rod you push that empties the cylinder) clinks back and forth freely. Is this normal? Is there a reasonable fix?

Also when playing around with the bullets it appears that the barrel narrows slightly as it approaches the exit. A bullet when placed at where the barrel starts will enter until it hits the case. At the exit it stops short before reaching the bullet case. Is this normal? And, bonus question, if so why? Seems strange.

It's been firing fine, regardless.

Thanks for any answers.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #2

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The ejector shouldn't be clanking. They can sometimes loosen. Check and see if you can screw it tight. As far as the barrel question, I don't quite understand what you mean.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #3

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Are you talking about the muzzle or the forcing cone? The forcing cone which is at the entry point of the barrel, or just in front of the cylinder will allow a bullet to fit into it, that's its job. The bullet has to make the jump from the cylinder to the barrel and it may not be perfectly centered so a slight taper is used to guide the bullet into the barrel.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default Gp100

I'm not a gunsmith so I can't say for sure but on my GP100 the ejector rod springs back and stays in place there. So to me it sounds like a broken spring.
At any rate a gunsmith can fix this for a reasonable price.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The Ejector rod of the GP100 and the SP101 both clang about because they are not locked into place like with the Smith and Wesson revolvers. Also the Forcing cone at the back part of the barrel has the Freebore for aiding the bullet alignment to the rifling of the barrel so it will be slightly larger than the muzzle. In other words your GP100 is as it is supposed to be enjoy it.

Noblesse Oblige

Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
JTJ

Liked 1245 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

The ejector rod on my SP101 does not clang about. I just checked it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #7

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm starting to think it's not the ejector making the noise but the transfer bar. Some SP101s have been known to make a little noise but function fine. I believe GP100s can have the same issue.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snubshooter View Post
The Ejector rod of the GP100 and the SP101 both clang about because they are not locked into place like with the Smith and Wesson revolvers.
I wouldn't call this movement clanging around. More like free-play and is normal as snubshooter is stating.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #9

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

The LCR has the same issue with the transfer bar rattle. Perfectly normal, Ruger says.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Perhaps "clang" was too harsh but cling or ding just didn't seem to fit. Also the transfer bar could also be making a slight rattle which is also normal to most Rugers and some S+W Sc models.

Noblesse Oblige