Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ruger GP100 Match Champion. Got one yet? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-gp100-match-champion-got-one-yet-106418/)

Mercator 04-23-2014 02:03 AM

Ruger GP100 Match Champion. Got one yet?

Anyone had a chance to shoot the MC and compare it to a good regular GP100 or a 586/686?

bluez 04-23-2014 02:20 AM

Not yet but I am very much a GP100 guy.
Thing is, those things dont wear out. I have a 4 inch in SS, with I would guess 7000 rds thru it and its hard to tell from new when fully cleaned up.

So its hard to justify buying more and more of them.

I do own a Wiley Clapp however which I consider a kissing cousin of the MC.

Mercator 04-23-2014 12:29 PM

Shotgun News says Ruger improved the trigger. I've had a GP (bought used with a bit of rust), and it was superb for me - except the DA trigger pull. And when I had the trigger weight reduced, the GP started having light DA strikes. So looking to hear from fellow shooters about the MC.

bluez 04-23-2014 11:57 PM

The Wiley Clapp + the Royal Phoenix (both of which I own among other GP100s) also come withe that same improved trigger from the factory.

To methe incentive for a the MC is the rarity of it form acollectors perspective :)

Bluestar99 04-24-2014 01:30 AM

I have a Match Champion. But have never shot a GP100 so I can't tell you about any differences. I'm happy with my choice.

FernandoTheCommando 04-24-2014 05:37 PM

Have a gp100 and would like a match champion, but haven't commited to buying one yet. I like the looks and the improvements seem pretty nice. The DA trigger on my gp100 is pretty smooth, but it's pull is heavy as hell! Id like to see how the trigger in the mc feels.

pgf102 04-27-2014 12:29 AM

I have an older GP100, the Match and a 686SSR. I have to say I am a little disappointed in the Match Champion. It functions OK but the original GP shoots as good or better. The MC does have the the cylinder charge holes chamfered so reloads are a little easier than the older GP.
As much as I am a strong fan and supporter of Ruger revolvers (I love my SP101) I have to say the S&W is just a better revolver overall. Besides having all the competitive features that the MC has, I like its balance better than the MC and the fit and finish is of a much higher standard than the Ruger. But it is also a good $100+++ more expensive than the MC but I believe it is worth it.
Just my opinion -
Paul

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

John_Deer 04-27-2014 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1564686)
Shotgun News says Ruger improved the trigger. I've had a GP (bought used with a bit of rust), and it was superb for me - except the DA trigger pull. And when I had the trigger weight reduced, the GP started having light DA strikes. So looking to hear from fellow shooters about the MC.

When a gunsmith does a trigger job on a revolver they use a lighter hammer spring so there isn't so much tension on the trigger mechanism. You likey need to use the stock hammer spring. One would think 2 lb won't make that much of a difference but sometimes 2 lb is to much.

aandabooks 04-27-2014 01:44 AM

I like the looks of the MC but with the price tag and it doesn't come with an adjustable rear, I don't think I'll be buying one. I like adjustable sights on my competition guns.

JonM 04-27-2014 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1564504)
Anyone had a chance to shoot the MC and compare it to a good regular GP100 or a 586/686?

Personally I think sw revolvers are the height of ugly. I'm sure some folks like em as they do sell. But I'm not one. Don't care for the actions on them either. If your going to get a revolver you have to baby get a colt python

Personally I would opt for the regular gp100 and get the wolf reduced power spring kit and a hiviz fiber front sight. I don't care for fixed sights on a da revolver. You have limited but powerful ammo and stupid slow reload times why gimp yourself when every shot counts...

The sa pull on a gp100 is outstanding right out of the box. I've shot wind's gp and they are steller handguns.