Ruger GP100
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger GP100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger GP100

Are there any other GP100 fans out here?? I am working my way through my second one. The first one I bought was back in 85, 4" blued with combat grips. My new one is a 4" stainless. They both offer flawless performance. I have put about every type of round made through them including some really hot +p, never had a issue.

Mark

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2008, 02:02 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaf View Post
Are there any other GP100 fans out here?? I am working my way through my second one. The first one I bought was back in 85, 4" blued with combat grips. My new one is a 4" stainless. They both offer flawless performance. I have put about every type of round made through them including some really hot +p, never had a issue.

Mark
I don't own one yet, but I am considering the new SP101 in .327 Fed. Magnum. It has incredible ballistics similar to, and surpassing the .357 in certain bullet weights.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-12-2008, 03:44 AM   #3

I've had a 4' GP100 for years with no problems. Very well made in my opinion.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #4

RL357Mag...Can you tell us what your source of information is?

Old 08-13-2008, 02:42 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
RL357Mag...Can you tell us what your source of information is?
First of all, who is "us"?
Sheriff Jim Wilson - the Handgun Editor for Shooting Times - a very good "source of information" BTW. The .327Mag is available in 3 weights currently - 85gr. Hydrashok, 100gr. SP, & 115 gr. Gold Dot. In the 85gr. Low Recoil loading it penetrated more than 12" into ballistics gel and retained vitually all of it's weight without coming apart. This loading also generates only 3.08 ft.lbs of recoil energy - about as much as a .38SPL +P, and much less than the .357Mag. The 100 gr. loading leaves the muzzle at 1400fps. and produces 435ft.lbs of energy. Guns chambered in this offering can also shoot the .32 S&W Short, Long, and .32 H&R. Rumor has it that a carbine for the .327Mag is also in the works. Hope this helps!

PS - If you'd like to see more Ballistics Data, such as penetration data and one-stop shot percentages of various defensive loadings for the most popular handgun calibers, compiled from over 500 documented shootings, check out my posting in Knowledge Base".
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-13-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:08 AM   #6

Default Ruger GP100

It is my camp gun. I carry it on my hip when I'm big game hunting. I have taken 2 Javalinas with it during hand gun season. I shoot 357 158gr jhp. My favorite revolver. It is ss 6".

Old 08-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #7

I have a GP100 6" SS. Terriffic pistol.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #8

i have a Ruger KGP-141 "a stainless steel GP-100 with a 4" barrel in .357MAG"

it was given to me from my father when i graduated middle school... it is perhaps my favorite weapon.

It is reliable, rugged, heafty, accurate, and feels great in the hand....
every thing that makes a revolver great, the GP100 has.

i have looked around some, and the GP100 the the heaviest 4" .357MAG that is widely available... it come in at a nice 41 ounces unloaded, but it is still light enough to carry with comfort. and even when shooting the most powerfull reloads i could muster, it was still comfortable to shoot.

also, the accuracy is exelent, i would not think twice about egaging a target at long ranges, at 150 yards, i have approx a 2 foot group when firing approx once every 3 seconds with cheap blazer ammo.

so, IMO... the Ruger GP-100 is a EXELENT revolver, and if i had the option to, when i get deployed, i would like to have my GP100 on my hip when i go into combat.

-ANDREW MASON

:EDIT... there are only 2 things that i would change about my GP100, if it were possible.... get a reenforced GP100 frame, and then chamber it in .357maximum and add on a 6" barrel.... but i dont think that will be happening any time soon.

Last edited by .357ANDY; 08-21-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #9

Default Love my GP100 also

Have a 4'blued finish GP100.can't find enough good things to say about it.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:42 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default RE: GP100 for deer hunting

The GP100 is a great gun, period. When Bill Ruger was interviewed by Shooting Times and was asked about the GP100, he said "It’s a strong gun. I’m delighted with it. It is, in my personal belief, the best. It’s that simple."

I have owned a Ruger GP100 with a 4" heavy barrel in stainless for a number of years and found it to be an excellent shooter and an extremely reliable handgun and I carry it on every outdoor trip I take.

Some people may tell you that hunting with a 4" barreled .357 Magnum is not sporting, but that is just not true, it just all depends upon the limitations placed on how it is used and the definition of “hunting”. Trying to use it as a substitute for a rifle is certainly not sporting because almost any center fire rifle would be a better choice and offer more range. However, if you actually "hunt” rather than just “shoot” deer, it is comparable to bow hunting when determining the acceptable range at which to use it. I bow hunt and would have absolutely no reservations in taking a bull elk at 40 yards (my self imposed limit) with my GP100 because I have done it numerous times with an arrow and I know the .357 Magnum would be much better suited to the task.

The .357 Magnum is an extraordinary cartridge, inherently accurate, extremely powerful, and offers tremendous stopping power on both man and beast alike. You do not need to spend money on a benchrest rifle to be a hunter. You just have to learn to hunt.

If you use your head, hunt, get close, only take your shot when absolutely certain of a kill, then you will become a true hunter with your GP100 and you can take pride in every hunt you go on, kill or no kill, because as a hunter, you will have succeeded. Stick with your GP100.

2OGG