Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger GP100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger GP100

Hello,
I am new to handguns and new to this site. I am picking up a new Ruger GP 100 (stainless, 4 inch barrel) in 3 days (Gander Mtn.) and would like to know if there is a proper way to "break in" the gun? I know it will take a variety of 38 loads as well as the 357 ammo. Is the larger "stress" placed on the gun by the 357 ammo good for it? Does it make a difference? Use will include home security and occasional range. I've read this gun is a pretty good piece and hope there is not much recoil (with 38's - how about with the 357's?) as my wife will be scared of it. Also, best place to purchase ammo in Chicago area?
Thank You All In Advance,

john

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome to the forum. Please stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you're here.

Your GP100 is a tank and will eat all the 357s you want to feed it. They are well built and will give you a lifetime of service. As far as a break in.....shoot it, shoot it again and shoot it some more. If this is your first handgun I think you made a great choice in weapon as well as caliber. The 4" barrel will help you learn to shoot with greater ease then a snub nose but is still quick to point and concealable if desired(I realize your in Chicago and I'm sorry).
I would recommend starting out with 38s until your comfortable and then step up to the 357s as they do have a bit more recoil.

Hey, what was the process like to buy a handgun in Chicago?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The GP100 is a fine revolver and built like a tank so you're safe to shoot any .357 Magnum or .38 Special loads you desire. It's a fairly heavy gun so recoil when using lighter .38 Special loads will be mild. Using full-power .357 Magnum loads the recoil is going to be quite substantial. Most of us practice with .38s as it's cheaper and less punishing.

If you have not taken any formal handgun training - I would highly suggest doing so. There's a lot more to using a handgun in a defensive situation than buying a gun, a box of shells, and putting it in the dresser. Without considerable practice, you'll not have the skills you will need should a situation arise. As far as where to buy ammo in Chicago - I have no idea. I'm pretty sure most online sources don't sell in areas with restrictions...

Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5644 Times on 3318 Posts
Likes Given: 4755

My GP100, 6" doesn't seem to mind the .357 mags, and doesn't have that much recoil for me. I started with some remington .38special rounds from WallyWorld to get me used to the grip, might try that for the lil lady. I am not aware of a "break in" procedure on the GP100.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 02-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #5

Default Thank You All

Thanks All,
As far as purchasing the GP 100 in Chicago, I acutally live in the western suburbs. I had to fill out a form; provide my F. O. I. D. card and driver's license; and now wait 72 hours to pick up the gun. Does anyone know about Ruger's warranty? The people at Gander Mountain said they have "no written warranty." However, I have read on-line that Rugers have life-time warranty. I already e-mailed Ruger's customer service to see what they say. Thank you for the suggestions on the gun - I sure welcome any inputs..............Sashebby

Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Ruger's unwritten warranty is true - but it's doubtful you'll ever need their services...

Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I bought a used (20 yrs old at least) Security Six for $175. I got it home and test fired it, it wouldn't reliably set them off double action because someone had shortened the mainspring (I checked against my other one). I wrote Ruger and asked them to send me a spring, explaining the circumstances, offering to pay for it and shipping. They sent me a spring and retaining clip, pinned on the strut and refused payment. Ruger's OK.

Last edited by freefall; 02-08-2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: eliminating redundencies.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6121 Times on 3709 Posts
Likes Given: 6933

I have a Ruger GP100 6" barrel and I like it a lot. My son lives in Aurora right near Sugar Grove. I'm in Genoa. WELCOME!

You are practically my neighbor. Let me know where you go shooting. The options are limited around here, it seems.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I like to shoot jacketed ammo through a new gun. The bores of new barrels tend to be slightly rough, particularly stainless. Jacketed ammo tends to smooth the slight roughness and burnish the bore. After a few hundred rounds, the bore is usually smooth enough to shoot lead ammo with minimal leading.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #10

I have a blued GP100 4 inch, great gun. Not really a carry gun for me, I find it to heavy as I have lighter ones. I highly recomend a bore snake, gives you a quick cleaning of the cylinder and the barrel after shooting. You can follow up later with a proper cleaning, which will now go quicker.