Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ruger GP 100 (Match Champion) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-gp-100-match-champion-103287/)

Bluestar99 01-26-2014 04:26 PM

Ruger GP 100 (Match Champion)

I am looking at getting my first Revolver. I have settled on a Ruger GP100 stainless with the 4" Barrel. When I stopped in at my gun store they had just put out a GP 100 Match Champion. The salesman said it has a better trigger and the barrel is different . Has anyone had any experience with the Match Champion version to be able to tell me if there are enough improvements in the new version to warrant the extra money. Thanks

SSGN_Doc 01-26-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluestar99 (Post 1492034)
I am looking at getting my first Revolver. I have settled on a Ruger GP100 stainless with the 4" Barrel. When I stopped in at my gun store they had just put out a GP 100 Match Champion. The salesman said it has a better trigger and the barrel is different . Has anyone had any experience with the Match Champion version to be able to tell me if there are enough improvements in the new version to warrant the extra money. Thanks

What are they asking for it?

SSGN_Doc 01-26-2014 04:46 PM

It is dovetailed for Novak rear sights and a high visibility front sight. Changing sights would be easy with this revolver. The barrel is a different profile, with machined flats on the sides. Probably couldn't get that machine work done by a gunsmith for much less. I don't know if Ruger did any trigger work on those, but the gunsmith back in GA that I used to go to, would do some nice trigger work on the GPs for around $80.

The other thing you have to ask yourself is if you would want those features on a GP100 if you bought a base model. If you do. Then $100 more s not a bad deal. If you would have been happy with a standard GP. Then the extra hundred isn't worth it to you.

Mercator 01-26-2014 04:56 PM

Is the front sight secured with a spring loaded detente?

Bluestar99 01-26-2014 04:59 PM

The Match Champion version felt a little better balanced and slightly lighter when handling both. The MC has wooden grips that did not feel as comfortable as the rubber grips on the standard model. I would prefer to not buy a gun and modify it later if I don't have to. Sorry I can't remember the price they were asking. I usually figure out the gun I want and then shop price.

FernandoTheCommando 01-26-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluestar99 (Post 1492034)

Buy it buy it buy. I own a gp100 and want to trade up for a match champion. What a gun. Buy it so I can see pics and be jealous.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Bluestar99 01-26-2014 05:25 PM

I just called the gun shop that has the best prices. They do not have either model in stock right now. But their price on a Standard GP 100 4" stainless is 560.00. But they will not order or hold one. First come first served so it could take awhile. The other store always has stock and has several MC in stock. I'll take a ride over and see what they want for both models.

Bluestar99 01-27-2014 12:59 AM

Well I went in and bought the Match Champion this afternoon. It was $729.00. But nowhere else around me had it in stock, nor did they know when they would get one. I'll pick it up on Thursday!

MisterMcCool 01-27-2014 01:36 AM

Congratulations

winds-of-change 01-27-2014 05:17 AM

Awesome. I want to see pictures.