Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger Blackhawk - 9mm +.357 Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Ruger Blackhawk - 9mm +.357 Mag

Does anyone out there own or have any experience with the Ruger Blackhawk supplied with interchangeble cylinders chambered in 9mm and .357 magnum?

I am curious as to how a single action pistol accomodates an rimless 9mm cartridge give that moon clips cannot be used. I would also like some feedback as to accuracy in the 9mm configuration.

The reason for asking is twofold. My primary pistol is a 9mm and I have an adequate stock of ammo for use at the range. It would be easier to take one caliber to the range for practice and 9mm is a little cheaper than .357 oe .38 special. Secondly, I have always had a desire to own a single action in .357 and perhaps back it up with a lever action rifle in the same caliber down the road a bit. A revolver like the Ruger would make life a little easier.

It is not intended for home defense, just to satisfy the joy of shooting.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Well, the cartridges headspace off the case mouth.
The 9mm is a tad smaller in diameter, and you have a much longer jump from case mouth to forcing cone. Accuracy not likely to be something to clap hands over.

I shoot a fair bit of .357, using my handloaded 38 Special wadcutters- which I can reload cheaper than I can 9mm.

IF I was in an environment where I could not get 38/357, but COULD get 9mm, would make this attractive to me. Otherwise, no.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nomad, i owned one of these several years ago. Cool little gun but the accuracy of the 9mm was lacking some. But still a fun gun to shoot.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #4

Default Thanks

Thanks to both of you for the insight. It seems that whenever you make a compromise on shooting two different cartridges from the same weapon something will come up short. I appreciate the help.

I will most likely branch out to a new caliber in search of the "cowboy" experience of a single action revolver and a lever action rifle. Thanks for the advice on reloading.

Stay safe.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I have one. It shoots great in .357. I wasn't expecting much with the 9mm, but I was pleasantly surprised. Mine shoots 9mm CCI Blazer aluminum cased, relatively inexpensive ammo nearly as well as the .357.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 AM   #6

Default Thanks

Thanks to you as well Clem!

Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #7

Default 9mm/357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad 1 View Post
Thanks to you as well Clem!
As i stated elsewhere, i got one, and i reload my own. I use the 147gr, a +P load with mag primer and have good accuracy. Not "Perfect" but would trust my life with it. Which is the bottom line - No?

Old 08-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I reload for a number of calibers, including 9mm, but I seldom get around to loading 9mm. Blazer shoots well in many of my 9mms, including my NMBH convertible, and I don't have to feel bad about throwing away the "brass."

Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I owned one briefly and , while accuracy with the 9mm cylinder wasn't great, it wasn't that bad either. If I had to estimate, I'd say groups opened up maybe 1/2" or so at 25 yards. I even tried some of that Israeli +P+ ammo in it. I sold it to a friend who still owns it. He bought another 9mm cylinder that he had rechambered for the .357-44 Bain & Davis. He also owns one of those .38-40/10mm Convertibles with a third cylinder in .401 Herters PowerMag.
Two revolvers chambering a total of 7 different cartridges, two of them matching his semi-autos, ain't bad.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have a SS Bisley in 45acp and 45 Colt. Since the bullets are the same size, they both shoot great. If you are looking for a lever gun in 357, get a Marlin and send it to Clements Custom guns. He will do wonders with it! I sent him my Bisley and had a few things done. The gun was bought with only the 45 acp cylinder so he put in a Colt cylinder. Both cylinders had the throats oped to .452" as the newer Rugers tend to be on the tight side. Mine were .448-.449". Made a big difference! Accuracy shrunk by almost half! Check the throats on your Rugers if you shoot lead, makes a big diff! Also if you do get a convertible, don't ever lose the 9mm or 45acp cylinder. Ruger won't sell them! Clements did a free spin pawl, recut the barrel to 11 degrees, recut the crown and put on the Bowen rear sight and his custom patridre front sight. Now to develop some loads......

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!