Ruger Blackhawk - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger Blackhawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The easiest way to tell is when you cock the hammer back, there will be a long flat piece (transfer bar) in between the hammer, and the firing pin. This bar will stay up if trigger is held to rear as hammer is dropped to rest position, but will drop down if trigger is released after pulling to drop hammer from cocked position. The transfer bar is so named because it transfers the energy from hammer to firing pin. That's why it's so much safer-there's no way the revolver will accidentally discharge unless the trigger is held back-thus keeping the transfer bar up.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The easiest way to tell is when you cock the hammer back, there will be a long flat piece (transfer bar) in between the hammer, and the firing pin. This bar will stay up if trigger is held to rear as hammer is dropped to rest position, but will drop down if trigger is released after pulling to drop hammer from cocked position. The transfer bar is so named because it transfers the energy from hammer to firing pin. That's why it's so much safer-there's no way the revolver will accidentally discharge unless the trigger is held back-thus keeping the transfer bar up.

That is what I thought. So it would look just like what my Ruger Gp100 has. Thanks, it hasn't had the update yet. Would I be stupid not to get the update?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's entirely up to you. Would YOU feel safer having had it done? The original design of single action revolvers is the main reason a lot of people carry them with hammer down on an empty chamber. If carried fully loaded in "old" style design with hammer resting on loaded cartridge, and dropped onto hard surface on hammer, it WILL discharge. Personally i like the new style so that I get use of having all 6 chambers loaded instead of 5 as per old style.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #14

Be positivley sure the gun is unloaded, and pointed in a safe direction, Now cock the hammer, look where the hammer strikes the fireing pin,do you see a vertical (safety bar),it should be over the fireing pin,If you can see this bar,your Blackhawk,has been retro fitted. enjoy your present . hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #15

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I've got the 357 blackhawk with the 4 5/8 barrel in stainless. I bought a hammer for a super blackhawk that has a WIDER SPUR and it fits. Nice improvement. I will never sell this gun, it was my first gun purchase when I became old enough in 1978.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #16

Thanks everybody for all the help.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:04 AM   #17

I've had a .41 mag Blackhawk for 21 years, has a 2x scope on it and I reload the ammo. Shoots great, have harvested 3 deer over the years from 40 to 60 yards grave yard dead, made a big "wap" when it hit them.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 AM   #18

I like my 4 5/8" Blackhawk. It's a fun gun to shoot. Mine has the 9mm convertable cylinder.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #19

Got this for Christmas......cannot wait to shoot it

Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2thor View Post
Got this for Christmas......cannot wait to shoot it
Is that one of their Bisleys?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.