Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger Blackhawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger Blackhawk

I got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag with the 4 5/8 barrel for xmas. This gun is in immaculate condition and as I was able to run the serial number it was made in 1969. Woo hooo. I can't wait to shoot it. My first single action revolver. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You will find the Blackhawk most enjoyable to shoot.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Was my first revolver, VERY accurate. Congrats! Good for you. Enjoy her!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's an outstanding present and a gun you'll enjoy from now on. My nephew's 1st revolver was a Blackhawk at my guidance, and he LOVES it. Side note-you can return your Blackhawk to Ruger for retrofit of transfer bar and they'll send back the original parts along with your retrofitted Blackhawk free of charge.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveguns View Post
I got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag with the 4 5/8 barrel for xmas. This gun is in immaculate condition and as I was able to run the serial number it was made in 1969. Woo hooo. I can't wait to shoot it. My first single action revolver. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.
My old man had a Ruger in .44 magnum. Can't remember if it was the Blackhawk or the Super Blackhawk - So many years ago.

I remember enjoying the hell out of shooting that thing though. It was right about the time I got to see my first Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry movie and while I knew it wasn't the same weapon, it was still a ".44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world today..."

Ah, good memories of a much simpler time.

Enjoy your trip to the range - I am a bit jealous...

JD

Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

By coincidence, I was at the range on Sunday and the man next to me asked about keeping my used 9mm brass. Being how I was just going to sweep it up and give it back to the range for recycling (read reloading and reselling) I didn't mind at all. In exchange he let me shoot 6-rounds with his Blackhawk (circa 1970's, I think he said...dont quote me)

I've never fired a .357 before and I gotta tell ya, although the boom was bigger than that of my Glock, it was some of the most enjoyable 6 rounds I've ever fired. The trigger was as smooth as a newborns buns, and the single action made me savor each round a little more.

Congrats! Even after only test-driving 6 rounds, I know you're going to love your new gift!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #7

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
That's an outstanding present and a gun you'll enjoy from now on. My nephew's 1st revolver was a Blackhawk at my guidance, and he LOVES it. Side note-you can return your Blackhawk to Ruger for retrofit of transfer bar and they'll send back the original parts along with your retrofitted Blackhawk free of charge.

I would advise you to take out and keep your original parts before sending the gun back. Ruger is a little "iffy" about returning all the original parts. And the safety conversion sure leaves a lot to be desired.

I've had three guns with the safety conversion, all of which are now removed. If you want the transfer bar, just trade your gun in for a New Model.

Bob Wright

Old 01-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #8

Updating with a coupld of pics.

Last edited by iloveguns; 06-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #9

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveguns View Post
Updating with a coupld of pics.

It does appear that the transfer bar conversion has already been installed. Do you have the original parts also?

Bob Wright

Old 01-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
It does appear that the transfer bar conversion has already been installed. Do you have the original parts also?

Bob Wright
No I don't. This is how it was when I opened it up xmas morning. How do I tell if it has been updated? I took it to the range yesterday and I fell in love shooting it. It shoots really nice. Now I know why I have wanted a single action revolver for so long.