Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ruger Blackhawk (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-blackhawk-9497/)

iloveguns 12-29-2008 04:02 PM

Ruger Blackhawk

I got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag with the 4 5/8 barrel for xmas. This gun is in immaculate condition and as I was able to run the serial number it was made in 1969. Woo hooo. I can't wait to shoot it. My first single action revolver. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.:D

Mark F 12-29-2008 11:23 PM

You will find the Blackhawk most enjoyable to shoot.

hillbilly68 12-30-2008 12:25 AM

Was my first revolver, VERY accurate. Congrats! Good for you. Enjoy her!

stalkingbear 12-30-2008 04:51 PM

That's an outstanding present and a gun you'll enjoy from now on. My nephew's 1st revolver was a Blackhawk at my guidance, and he LOVES it. Side note-you can return your Blackhawk to Ruger for retrofit of transfer bar and they'll send back the original parts along with your retrofitted Blackhawk free of charge.

Dillinger 12-30-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iloveguns (Post 58062)
I got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag with the 4 5/8 barrel for xmas. This gun is in immaculate condition and as I was able to run the serial number it was made in 1969. Woo hooo. I can't wait to shoot it. My first single action revolver. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.:D

My old man had a Ruger in .44 magnum. Can't remember if it was the Blackhawk or the Super Blackhawk - So many years ago.

I remember enjoying the hell out of shooting that thing though. It was right about the time I got to see my first Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry movie and while I knew it wasn't the same weapon, it was still a ".44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world today..."

Ah, good memories of a much simpler time. :D

Enjoy your trip to the range - I am a bit jealous...

JD

falseharmonix 12-30-2008 10:42 PM

By coincidence, I was at the range on Sunday and the man next to me asked about keeping my used 9mm brass. Being how I was just going to sweep it up and give it back to the range for recycling (read reloading and reselling) I didn't mind at all. In exchange he let me shoot 6-rounds with his Blackhawk (circa 1970's, I think he said...dont quote me)

I've never fired a .357 before and I gotta tell ya, although the boom was bigger than that of my Glock, it was some of the most enjoyable 6 rounds I've ever fired. The trigger was as smooth as a newborns buns, and the single action made me savor each round a little more.

Congrats! Even after only test-driving 6 rounds, I know you're going to love your new gift!

Bob Wright 12-31-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 58291)
That's an outstanding present and a gun you'll enjoy from now on. My nephew's 1st revolver was a Blackhawk at my guidance, and he LOVES it. Side note-you can return your Blackhawk to Ruger for retrofit of transfer bar and they'll send back the original parts along with your retrofitted Blackhawk free of charge.

I would advise you to take out and keep your original parts before sending the gun back. Ruger is a little "iffy" about returning all the original parts. And the safety conversion sure leaves a lot to be desired.

I've had three guns with the safety conversion, all of which are now removed. If you want the transfer bar, just trade your gun in for a New Model.

Bob Wright

iloveguns 01-02-2009 03:44 PM

Updating with a coupld of pics.

Bob Wright 01-05-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iloveguns (Post 58965)
Updating with a coupld of pics.

It does appear that the transfer bar conversion has already been installed. Do you have the original parts also?

Bob Wright

iloveguns 01-05-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Wright (Post 59768)
It does appear that the transfer bar conversion has already been installed. Do you have the original parts also?

Bob Wright

No I don't. This is how it was when I opened it up xmas morning. How do I tell if it has been updated? I took it to the range yesterday and I fell in love shooting it. It shoots really nice. Now I know why I have wanted a single action revolver for so long.:D