Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

UPDATE: Shot it today and while sighting in at 10 yards I had to raise elevation quite a bit. Then while shooting the rear sight came loose and the screw had to be threaded back through the hole. At 25 yards all six were always on paper, but spread out with in about a 12" diameter. I expected better as my single six is dead on at 25 yards. Are my expectations too high? I wanted this gun for the accuracy.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #12

I don't know dude, my SuperBlackhawk, off a rest, shoots 8" groups @ 50yds. And I ain't good with a pistol, though I do love a S/A revolver.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #13

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It should shoot more like this. Your Blackhawk, in the right hands and with good ammo will shoot very accurately.

Jim..................

sbh.jpg  

Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #14

If you post some photos of your targets, we could advise you on what you are doing wrong and give you tips on how to correct your shooting..

Jim.............

Old 08-09-2009, 04:10 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Next time I go out I'll take pictures. I wasn't shooting from a rest at 25 yards. I was standing and using PMC ammo. One other problem I can figure is that my hands are large and my little finger has to rest under the grips. This is slightly uncomfortable and I wonder if just need new grips.

I was shooting exceptionally well with my pistols today and was really bummed that the Ruger didn't work out. I just can't figure out why the groups started so low and I basically ran out of sight adjustment. I just joined the forums so I will be able to post some pics soon.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Next time I go out I'll take pictures. I wasn't shooting from a rest at 25 yards. I was standing and using PMC ammo. One other problem I can figure is that my hands are large and my little finger has to rest under the grips. This is slightly uncomfortable and I wonder if just need new grips.

I was shooting exceptionally well with my pistols today and was really bummed that the Ruger didn't work out. I just can't figure out why the groups started so low and I basically ran out of sight adjustment. I just joined the forums so I will be able to post some pics soon.
If you don't shoot big bore magnums often, you will find that you pushing are pushing your shots low by anticipating recoil. It is a habit that can easily be corrected with practice. Will look forward to photos to be more able to help.

Jim................

Old 08-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This is what my .44 Mag does at 25 yards.

25yards.jpg  

Old 08-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Ok, i can see that at a "bench rest" position. But if this gun is put to use it won't be from a bench rest. I did not have a rest so I used a "dry box" from Cabelas for a rest thinking I could get consistent groups, which I did to a point .(its just a handgun right? )

After reading into this concern it has come to my attention that some Rugers require filing of the front sight, to raise elevation beyond what the standard rear sight adjustment allows.

This would make sense as I DEFINATELY did not over-compensate for anticipated recoil. Matter of fact... the recoil was much less than anticipated and easily managable.

I do not shoot much big-bore revolvers (until now) but have heard that I might have an unrealistic expectation from this gun. I will get a pistol/revolver rest for the next time I go out, but I know the gun was shooting LOW, more so than the rear sight would allow for adjustment.

I might take it in to the gunsmith where I bought it. The range is about 35 miles from home so I only go about every 2 weeks or so.

Also the grips are too small for my hands. Only reach about 3/4 down my palm. What aftermarket grips fit the 50th anniversary Blackhawk.

Thanks for all your input and expertise. Ya'll are good help.
D

Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Ok, i can see that at a "bench rest" position. But if this gun is put to use it won't be from a bench rest. I did not have a rest so I used a "dry box" from Cabelas for a rest thinking I could get consistent groups, which I did to a point .(its just a handgun right? )

After reading into this concern it has come to my attention that some Rugers require filing of the front sight, to raise elevation beyond what the standard rear sight adjustment allows.

This would make sense as I DEFINATELY did not over-compensate for anticipated recoil. Matter of fact... the recoil was much less than anticipated and easily managable.

I do not shoot much big-bore revolvers (until now) but have heard that I might have an unrealistic expectation from this gun. I will get a pistol/revolver rest for the next time I go out, but I know the gun was shooting LOW, more so than the rear sight would allow for adjustment.

I might take it in to the gunsmith where I bought it. The range is about 35 miles from home so I only go about every 2 weeks or so.

Also the grips are too small for my hands. Only reach about 3/4 down my palm. What aftermarket grips fit the 50th anniversary Blackhawk.

Thanks for all your input and expertise. Ya'll are good help.
D
Hogue makes a nice soft rubber monogrip for your Super Blackhawk. It will provide you with more grip to hold on to.

DO NOT file down your front sight! Change your aiming technique...

Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #20

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

There is not much on the market grip wise to address your problem. That is the "new" XR3 grip frame, with lock. I wish it was the XR3 RED grip because that is more comfortable for me with hot loads. I don't like the dragoon grip on the Super Blackhawk, but if your hands are that large that may be what you need.
What weight bullets are you shooting? My 50th 44 is right on target with very little elevation cranked in with 240 grain Magnums.

What could have happened... did.