Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag?

Just got a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag "50 years of .44 mag" model. I love my other Ruger single-six for the accuracy and reliability. My only concern is that this new gun is Blued as is my other Ruger. The older Ruger will need touch ups or a complete re-blueing soon.

So... should I go out and shoot/sight in this gun and make it mine? Or wait until a similar stainless and maybe double action Ruger becomes available and leave this one NIB for a trade in?

Sure I could decide for myself, but I love opinions!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #2

Liked 131 Times on 101 Posts

Shoot it. They made too many for them to get "rare" in your lifetime. Mine shoots very nicely. I don't think you will see a duplicate in stainless; they already make a stainless Super.

What could have happened... did.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Just got a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag "50 years of .44 mag" model. I love my other Ruger single-six for the accuracy and reliability. My only concern is that this new gun is Blued as is my other Ruger. The older Ruger will need touch ups or a complete re-blueing soon.

So... should I go out and shoot/sight in this gun and make it mine? Or wait until a similar stainless and maybe double action Ruger becomes available and leave this one NIB for a trade in?

Sure I could decide for myself, but I love opinions!
It is pointless to own something and not use it... SHOOT IT!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Ruger made a ton of 50th Anniversary marked revolvers. Shoot it and enjoy it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-07-2009, 03:13 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yep think I'll take it out Saturday. I know there's no reason to own something and not use it, "Texas BOY" (Born and raised there myself), but I was considering keeping it new for tade in value in case I found "The One". Like I had passed up 2 weeks earlier.

My thoughts are... I hate having to re-blue a gun. Stainless is maintance free... common sense right?

Last edited by diggsbakes; 08-08-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Yep think I'll take it out Saturday. I know there's no reason to own something and not use it, "Texas BOY" (Born and raised there myself), but I was considering keeping it new for tade in value in case I found "The One". Like I had passed up 2 weeks earlier.

My thoughts are... I hate having to re-blue a gun. Stainless is maintance free... common sense right?
The blue will be fine. My Bisley Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum has seen thousands of rounds, and it still looks and shoots like brand new.
rugerbisley.jpg  

Old 08-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

As far as trade-in goes, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. First off... no "real" gun-owner cares as long as it's in 95% or better condition. Clean your gun extremely well, oil it properly, and store it away from moisture. You'll get top-dollar for it even if you've shot it thousnds of times.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #8

I bought a Super Blackhawk(.44 mag) that was made in the mid-eighties, it is blued, still looks good, still shoots good. As does my Blackhawk in .357 that was made in the mid-seventies. So, shoot it and tell us how you do! Single action is fun.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 08-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #9

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Your .44BH is not a collector. Take it out and enjoy shooting it as I do with mine. Has taken 3 deer, a few cyotes and other game. Action is slicker than snot, barrel is ported and has 24kt gold fill.

Jim......................

44bk.jpg  

Last edited by masterPsmith; 08-08-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:42 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a matched set (SN#'S) the 357 & 44mag with the display case. Factory new condition with paperwork. Will not be shooting mine anytime soon. Just sold my 1967 V700 Moto Guzzi to finance the purchase of the 2009 anni super blackhawk and a 1 of 500 357. Any one out there with NIB looking to sale?