Ruger 45 Long Colt revolver SA 3 screw
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger 45 Long Colt revolver SA 3 screw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger 45 Long Colt revolver SA 3 screw

Hey guys, this is my question...A guy wants to buy I from me for $350, and it was inherited so it's not registered in my name...he asked if we could just meet up somewhere and he would give me cash, no paper work I guess u can since it's not registered in my name...bc it's an older gun, is this legal or does it even matter? The guy that referred him to me works at a gun shop, I was thinking I should ask about him, I'm just afraid that he could be a cop? Would I be in serious trouble? I want to sell it to him as a private transfer bc the gun shop will charge me 25%...but do I still need to do paperwork...I need help please, I'm going to call the gun shop guy today, but it always helps to have extra feedback. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2009, 02:39 AM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Sometimes the concern you feel is like a red flag, if it doesn't feel right don't do it. I would be concerned that that price is low, I would find a gun shop that can give an honest evaluation not based on weather they want to buy it or not. I had a friend that had a custom .270 rifle that one gun dealer only wanted to give him around $200 ended up that the rifle was worth more than $600.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You're in California. Take the Ruger to a gun shop and do the sale/transfer there and be legal. Find one that's cheaper. It should run $25. for the actual DROS and maybe $10 - $25 for the dealer's time.

Also, depending on the condition of the revolver, $350 is probably too cheap.

Do yourself a favor and do it legally. If you just sell it and take the cash without paperwork, you will risk big, big legal problems.

I'm in Sacramento and have bought and sold a bunch of guns and I have also worked in a gun shop here. I know what I'm talking about. Don't take a chance.

Post some photos if you can and we should be able to date it and get a more accurate price.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-11-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

An honest gun shop will not charge a precentage, they have a rate for firearems transfer. In CA it is truly important considering the gun laws. I would be less concerned being caught up in a police sting if you are the honest owner of the firearm and more concerned why the other person wants to do it off the books.

IMO nothing good can come from this deal.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #5

Thanks for the help guys. I descided to call a friend who knows the laws and found out what to do, go to a dealer...the percentage the gun shop wants to take btw, is bc they found him for me, if that makes any since...and I ds hve a guy look it up, $350 is reasonable for it...the previous owner engraved his initials, idiot, so value drops I am going to tell the guy we have to go into the gun shop tho, do it right. I'm a Christian so I have morals I want to live by, I just didn't know the law, now I do, appreciate it guys

Old 11-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You're welcome. I don't want to see anybody make a mistake about firearms, particularly here in Patchouli oil and sandals country.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would think that if it's inherited it would have some personal value and you wouldn't want to get rid of it. After all you didn't pay anything for it and it's not eating anything. That gun would represent the fond memories you have of that person.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I would think that if it's inherited it would have some personal value and you wouldn't want to get rid of it. After all you didn't pay anything for it and it's not eating anything. That gun would represent the fond memories you have of that person.
I too cannot understand anyone who could sell an inherited item. The person that died kept that gun because it meant something to them. They left it to YOU, not some stranger. Do the right thing and keep it. Shoot it. And leave it to your offspring.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
Hey guys, this is my question...A guy wants to buy I from me for $350, and it was inherited so it's not registered in my name...he asked if we could just meet up somewhere and he would give me cash, no paper work I guess u can since it's not registered in my name...bc it's an older gun, is this legal or does it even matter? The guy that referred him to me works at a gun shop, I was thinking I should ask about him, I'm just afraid that he could be a cop? Would I be in serious trouble? I want to sell it to him as a private transfer bc the gun shop will charge me 25%...but do I still need to do paperwork...I need help please, I'm going to call the gun shop guy today, but it always helps to have extra feedback. Thanks
If you sell an inherited gun, you will DIE a THOUSAND painful deaths then rot in hell for ever...

You just don't do that.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:00 AM   #10

The last 2 comments...Thanks fr ur opinions, but calm down, I inherited 43 guns, I kept all his important ones, I'm selling guns to pay off debt bc me and my wife are going to start a family. Most of the guns belonged to my father in laws 2 step dads, one who was a drunk and beat him...my father in law said himself that it was too big of a collection, and that when we first got married was to pay off all our debt. He was killed in Iraq, memorial day this year, his Humvee hit an IED...he was a Commander in the Navy...so trust me, it's not bc I didn't love my father in law, he was an amazing man, by selling some of them I'm going to get outta debt like he wanted