Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Ruger 45 Long Colt revolver SA 3 screw (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/ruger-45-long-colt-revolver-sa-3-screw-19944/)

superman 11-10-2009 03:02 PM

Ruger 45 Long Colt revolver SA 3 screw

Hey guys, this is my question...A guy wants to buy I from me for $350, and it was inherited so it's not registered in my name...he asked if we could just meet up somewhere and he would give me cash, no paper work I guess u can since it's not registered in my name...bc it's an older gun, is this legal or does it even matter? The guy that referred him to me works at a gun shop, I was thinking I should ask about him, I'm just afraid that he could be a cop? Would I be in serious trouble? I want to sell it to him as a private transfer bc the gun shop will charge me 25%...but do I still need to do paperwork...I need help please, I'm going to call the gun shop guy today, but it always helps to have extra feedback. Thanks

Viking 11-11-2009 02:39 AM

Sometimes the concern you feel is like a red flag, if it doesn't feel right don't do it. I would be concerned that that price is low, I would find a gun shop that can give an honest evaluation not based on weather they want to buy it or not. I had a friend that had a custom .270 rifle that one gun dealer only wanted to give him around $200 ended up that the rifle was worth more than $600.

CA357 11-11-2009 02:54 AM

You're in California. Take the Ruger to a gun shop and do the sale/transfer there and be legal. Find one that's cheaper. It should run $25. for the actual DROS and maybe $10 - $25 for the dealer's time.

Also, depending on the condition of the revolver, $350 is probably too cheap.

Do yourself a favor and do it legally. If you just sell it and take the cash without paperwork, you will risk big, big legal problems.

I'm in Sacramento and have bought and sold a bunch of guns and I have also worked in a gun shop here. I know what I'm talking about. Don't take a chance.

Post some photos if you can and we should be able to date it and get a more accurate price.

WDB 11-11-2009 03:03 AM

An honest gun shop will not charge a precentage, they have a rate for firearems transfer. In CA it is truly important considering the gun laws. I would be less concerned being caught up in a police sting if you are the honest owner of the firearm and more concerned why the other person wants to do it off the books.

IMO nothing good can come from this deal.

superman 11-11-2009 04:53 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I descided to call a friend who knows the laws and found out what to do, go to a dealer...the percentage the gun shop wants to take btw, is bc they found him for me, if that makes any since...and I ds hve a guy look it up, $350 is reasonable for it...the previous owner engraved his initials, idiot, so value drops :( I am going to tell the guy we have to go into the gun shop tho, do it right. I'm a Christian so I have morals I want to live by, I just didn't know the law, now I do, appreciate it guys

CA357 11-11-2009 05:00 PM

You're welcome. I don't want to see anybody make a mistake about firearms, particularly here in Patchouli oil and sandals country. ;)

stalkingbear 11-11-2009 05:10 PM

I would think that if it's inherited it would have some personal value and you wouldn't want to get rid of it. After all you didn't pay anything for it and it's not eating anything. That gun would represent the fond memories you have of that person.

diggsbakes 11-12-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 184933)
I would think that if it's inherited it would have some personal value and you wouldn't want to get rid of it. After all you didn't pay anything for it and it's not eating anything. That gun would represent the fond memories you have of that person.

I too cannot understand anyone who could sell an inherited item. The person that died kept that gun because it meant something to them. They left it to YOU, not some stranger. Do the right thing and keep it. Shoot it. And leave it to your offspring.

Mark F 11-12-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superman (Post 184467)
Hey guys, this is my question...A guy wants to buy I from me for $350, and it was inherited so it's not registered in my name...he asked if we could just meet up somewhere and he would give me cash, no paper work I guess u can since it's not registered in my name...bc it's an older gun, is this legal or does it even matter? The guy that referred him to me works at a gun shop, I was thinking I should ask about him, I'm just afraid that he could be a cop? Would I be in serious trouble? I want to sell it to him as a private transfer bc the gun shop will charge me 25%...but do I still need to do paperwork...I need help please, I'm going to call the gun shop guy today, but it always helps to have extra feedback. Thanks

If you sell an inherited gun, you will DIE a THOUSAND painful deaths then rot in hell for ever...

You just don't do that.

superman 11-13-2009 04:00 AM

The last 2 comments...Thanks fr ur opinions, but calm down, I inherited 43 guns, I kept all his important ones, I'm selling guns to pay off debt bc me and my wife are going to start a family. Most of the guns belonged to my father in laws 2 step dads, one who was a drunk and beat him...my father in law said himself that it was too big of a collection, and that when we first got married was to pay off all our debt. He was killed in Iraq, memorial day this year, his Humvee hit an IED...he was a Commander in the Navy...so trust me, it's not bc I didn't love my father in law, he was an amazing man, by selling some of them I'm going to get outta debt like he wanted