Ruger 45 Colt Revolvers...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Ruger 45 Colt Revolvers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Ruger 45 Colt Revolvers...

I just got a 2005 Bisley stainless 5 1/2" Convertible. It shoots ok but I feel it can do better. I measured the throats on the cylinder (only came with the 45 ACP...thank god 'cause Ruger won't sell you and ACP cylinder!) and they are .449" for 3 and .448" for the other 3 throats. I measured my friends Bisley from 2000 and his were dead on at .452". And his shoots great! I have read about them being oversized....but not about them being too tight. My cylinder is getting throated to .452" as this is written...can't wait for it to get back! I have over a dozen different loads to test! I wonder if it is only in the 45 cals or are the other Blackhawks having these over/under sized throats? What do you have and what does it measure?

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

mine are at .450"

rugers.jpg  

In order to become the Master, a politician must act as a servant.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Got it!

Great news! I got my cylinder back from Mr. Clements on Saturday! Put that sucker in and on Sunday I tested it out with about 6 different handloads. This is a 45 ACP cylinder...the throats now measure a true .452 on ALL six holes! I shot it on a 10 yd target...only distance we had one set up....ONE RAGGED HOLE! The difference between the loads was not too much...I have to do further testing in a more calm environment..had a guy shooting some full auto 223 next to me! Was hitting coconuts at 60 yds consistently! Oh, I also installed a Belt Mountain base pin in the gun and there is hardly any play in the cylinder. You can see it in the photo. Just have to fit a 45 Colt cylinder, free spin pawl, throat the barrel and recrown it...probably don't need the last two done, but might as well. Polishing the throat will reduce lead build up. The gun shoots jacketed spot on too! jacketed bullets fall right thru the cylinder and I was wondering how they would shoot....just fine thank you! Gonna stick with lead only....... I changed the grips from the Hogues in the photo, got a set of the Ruger laminated grips, I like them better!

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!

Last edited by cliffspot; 03-08-2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: I forgot a detail or two!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Purty! What material are those grips, out of curiosity? Do you shoot with 'em on or switch to Pachmayr/Hogue/something else soft?

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 03-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Hogue Black Pearl

They are a tad thicker than stock grips. They are a polymer. I wanted to go "All Ruger"...plus I saw the laminated grips on the Bisley Hunter model....had to have them! I shot the gun with the Hogues....I overtightened the grip screw after I cleaned it and it pulled the bushing and cracked the grip around the hole. Super glue fixed it but I don't use them anymore. I got them at Midway...the best price I think and they fit better than the Ajax grips...and are cheaper! I'll try to get a new pic up soon!

Last edited by cliffspot; 03-08-2010 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Had a thought....

Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So those are Ruger laminate grips in the pic? Either way, very nice.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Nooooo

Those are Hogue Polymer grips. You can get them here Hogue Cowboy Grips Ruger Bisley, Bisley Vaquero Pearlized Black - MidwayUSA
Also, if you have a Ruger 45 Colt you should read this
Linebaugh's Custom Sixguns - The .45 Colt - Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Legend