Rug sp101 sight - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Rug sp101 sight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Pick something small like a light switch and dry fire it a lot. You want the sight to still be on the light switch after you pull the trigger. The dry firing will help you a lot with the pushing. Dry firing will only smooth the trigger out in double action. It will not lessen the trigger pull and make the gun unsafe.
This is another great way to practice dry firing at home. I do this with my revolvers all the time.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #32

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Pick something small like a light switch and dry fire it a lot. You want the sight to still be on the light switch after you pull the trigger. The dry firing will help you a lot with the pushing. Dry firing will only smooth the trigger out in double action. It will not lessen the trigger pull and make the gun unsafe.
I think this will help me a little. I had heard it softens up the trigger. But smoothing it out sounds a little better. Mine already has a fairly smooth trigger. From what I can reference it too I guess, which isn't a lot.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #33

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post
I think this will help me a little. I had heard it softens up the trigger. But smoothing it out sounds a little better. Mine already has a fairly smooth trigger. From what I can reference it too I guess, which isn't a lot.
With all of these tips and suggestions I think you should have no problem correcting your trigger pull and getting your shots hitting dead center. Just remember to take your time and have fun with it. Let us know if you notice any differences next time you shoot it.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog
With all of these tips and suggestions I think you should have no problem correcting your trigger pull and getting your shots hitting dead center. Just remember to take your time and have fun with it. Let us know if you notice any differences next time you shoot it.
Sure will. I appreciate all the pointers guys.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a SPS-101 in 357 Mag with a 3" bbl. At SD distances the fixed sights are dead on. With the short barrels even a slight movement of your hand will put you off target. Concentrate on squeezing the trigger straight back, control your breathing and concentrate on the front sight, not the target. Are you shooting DA or SA? Obviously shooting SA has a lighter trigger but if you intend to use the gun for SD you will want to practice shooting it in DA and also with your off hand.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebramochaman
I have a SPS-101 in 357 Mag with a 3" bbl. At SD distances the fixed sights are dead on. With the short barrels even a slight movement of your hand will put you off target. Concentrate on squeezing the trigger straight back, control your breathing and concentrate on the front sight, not the target. Are you shooting DA or SA? Obviously shooting SA has a lighter trigger but if you intend to use the gun for SD you will want to practice shooting it in DA and also with your off hand.
I've been shooting both. I shot the same way with both. I'm going to try to make it to the range this weekend, although that may not happen due to monetary restrictions. If I do, I'll post any progress.

And shooting weak hand is a good suggestion. I hadn't thought about trying that. I'll have to get accurate enough with my strong hand first though lol

Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #37

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default DA Only..

Quote:
I've been shooting both. I shot the same way with both. I'm going to try to make it to the range this weekend, although that may not happen due to monetary restrictions. If I do, I'll post any progress.

And shooting weak hand is a good suggestion. I hadn't thought about trying that. I'll have to get accurate enough with my strong hand first though lol
I have a SP-101 2 1/4" .357 in Double Action only (No hammer spur). It is a SUPER EDC.
I installed a Wolff mainspring, and trigger spring to lighten it up-helped a lot.

An easy "Trick" to smooth up your action==Fill the entire action-through the hammer area, with tooth paste. Cycle action a "Few" hundred times-completely wash out (should field strip-take the trigger guard assembly out) with HOT water-blow dry completely-lightly lube.
You would be surprised how much the tooth paste smooths up the action...Bill.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 01-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #38

Dunno about that toothpaste sounds like I'd mess something up. But thanks.

I went to the range today with the sp. My dad shot it and shot like I did. He's never really shot revolvers before. He was shooting really high.

I adjusted my grip from videos I'd seen online. I was shooting fist sized groups at 10 yards

Looks like it was me after all and not the sight. Very glad to find that out. I still may replace that sight with a brighter fiber optic at some point.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I put it all into account and it helped tremendously.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #39

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Dunno about that toothpaste sounds like I'd mess something up. But thanks.

I went to the range today with the sp. My dad shot it and shot like I did. He's never really shot revolvers before. He was shooting really high.

I adjusted my grip from videos I'd seen online. I was shooting fist sized groups at 10 yards

Looks like it was me after all and not the sight. Very glad to find that out. I still may replace that sight with a brighter fiber optic at some point.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I put it all into account and it helped tremendously.
Just get some nail polish and call it good. It will save you a bunch of money and you can change the color if you need to.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk

Just get some nail polish and call it good. It will save you a bunch of money and you can change the color if you need to.
That's true. I've thought about that also. I'll see what colors I have