Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Rug sp101 sight (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/rug-sp101-sight-82139/)

capto56 01-22-2013 04:27 PM

I've read through all of the sp101 threads and haven't seen one discussing the sights. I have been to the range twice since I have bought mine. It's a .357 with a 2 1/4" barrel.

When aiming down range (forgive me if I don't use proper terminology) I place the front sight dead center and flush with the rear sights. It consistently shoots about 7" high. I have to lower the front sight to the point that I just can't see it to be able to shoot on center.

Any suggestions? I'm taking my cpl training class in a month and would like to be somewhat competent with this gun before then. Thanks for any input

Garadex 01-22-2013 07:37 PM

Sounds like you should change the distance of the target or try a 6 o'clock hold and see if that helps.

JTJ 01-22-2013 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine shoots to center with the same hold. You might be breaking your wrist which will push the shot up.

capto56 01-22-2013 08:58 PM

What's 6 o'clock hold? Sorry, fairly new to handgun shooting.

And what do you mean jtj that yours shoots the same? That you also have to compensate that severely?

I've shot at several distances with a variety of different types of ammunition, .38, .38 sp, and .357. All shoot the same consistently.

I'm considering a new front sight. I've been researching that a little bit.

dks7895 01-22-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capto56 (Post 1105611)
What's 6 o'clock hold? Sorry, fairly new to handgun shooting.

And what do you mean jtj that yours shoots the same? That you also have to compensate that severely?

I've shot at several distances with a variety of different types of ammunition, .38, .38 sp, and .357. All shoot the same consistently.

I'm considering a new front sight. I've been researching that a little bit.

Six o'clock hold refers to all open sights...both rifles and handguns. Imagine your target as a clock. Hold the sights on six o'clock to hit the bullseye. The idea is to be able to see your target by setting the sights below it.

capto56 01-22-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dks7895

Six o'clock hold refers to all open sights...both rifles and handguns. Imagine your target as a clock. Hold the sights on six o'clock to hit the bullseye. The idea is to be able to see your target by setting the sights below it.

Huh, never heard of that. And that's intentional? I'll give it a shot (no pun intended) if I make it out to the range before my class.

jjfuller1 01-22-2013 09:12 PM

i dont know about the sp101. but i know my ruger single six rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. just something to check.

capto56 01-22-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1
i dont know about the sp101. but i know my ruger single six rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. just something to check.

I read a recent review that said the 4.5" sp101 was adjustable. But I've read a different one that says the 2.25" isn't. I'll have to give ruger a call and see what they suggest.

ScottA 01-22-2013 09:29 PM

90% certain it is you and not the gun. There are all kinds of things you can be doing with your grip that you will not notice that will adversely affect point of impact.

Do a search on "diagnostic target" and you'll find all kinds of target images to help you out.

DoyleTheDog 01-22-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capto56 (Post 1105640)
I read a recent review that said the 4.5" sp101 was adjustable. But I've read a different one that says the 2.25" isn't. I'll have to give ruger a call and see what they suggest.

The 4.20 sp101 is the only one with adjustable rear sights, yours has the trench sights. That's really odd that it's shooting that high above point of aim. Have you let more experienced shooters test it out? I'm not saying you aren't a good shot with it, but I would try that before anything else.

EDIT: Or next time you're shooting leave one chamber empty when loading it. That's one of the best ways to find out if it's the shooter or the gun.