Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Rossi vs Taurus 357 6" revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rossi vs Taurus 357 6" revolver

I'm going to buy a 357 revolver and want to spend about $400. I've been looking at the Rossi 972, 6", 357, ss, new, for about $425.

Also looking at the Taurus 66, 6", 357, ss, new for about the same price.

Before you say it: I know that S&W (have the 22a), Ruger (have the SR9), and many other $600 to $900 revolvers are the best. I also know that a Cadillac is a better car than my Honda CRV. What I'm saying is I'm wanting the best revolver THAT I CAN AFFORD and these were the right price and feel pretty good in the gun store. I don't sell guns and seldom trade them and I don't care if (when I die) my kids get a dime out of them. So with that in mind, what's your take on my choices? Also, I live in Roswell, NM (about 50,000 population), 2 gun shops that want an arm & a leg for there guns, seldom a gun show, and never a revolver advertised in the newspaper, so I have little choice but the internet. I've had advise to look for a used S&W or Ruger on the web but all I can find are guns that look like they're worn out for the price I want to pay. I'm open for suggestions! Thanks, Bernie

It's not the amount of breaths we take in life, but the moments that take our breaths that count.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2643 Times on 1540 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

My pecking order would be Taurus first, then Rossi.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #3

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I owned a Rossi .357 and a Taurus .22 revolver,so it's not a totally fair comparison,but I really thought the Rossi was a better gun than my Taurus,too bad you aren't where I live,the Ruger GP100s go for $480 round here.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hold that $400 for now and add to it whatever you can every week. Soon "what you can afford" will be a S&W 686, Ruger GP100, etc. In the end you will be a happier owner. My personal "gun fund" grows by about $10/week(I too am not made of money). Any extra money earned goes in when it can as well. I let it build up until I have enough to buy a really good/better version of what ever I want.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Last edited by jca1; 10-10-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Weren't Rossi & Taurus swapping spit on some of their models for a while there anyway?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #6

I think Taurus owns Rossi.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had a Ruger GP100, and really liked it; but recently bought a Taurus 617, 7-shot snubbie .357, and it's a great gun. I've had several Taurus handguns over the years, and I've never had any trouble with any of them.

I'm aware that some folks try to say they're "inferior", but they're usually either just repeating what they heard about the guns from decades ago and/or have no actual personal experience with them.

In fact, Taurus has long been associated with 2 of the finest firearms manufacturers on the planet, having been a part of the same company as S&W in the '70's; and then buying the manufacturing plant, the tech specs and drawings, the tooling, and the even the employees of Beretta's Brazilian branch. I had Taurus' copy of the 92C 9MM in stainless that is identical to Beretta's, and it was flawless.

If I'm not mistaken, the 66 also has a 7-shot capacity, and you should be pleased with it. I'm not familiar with Rossi handguns; never owned one. Hope that helps.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My dad has a Rossi and it runs like a champ. I had a Taurus that I ended up selling because if you tried to feed it magnums the cylinder would lock up. I personally wouldn't own either even though my dad's has been trouble free and accurate. I've known enough of other people who have had trouble with Rossi to buy one.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Rossi .38 spl. small frame 3" bbl. looks like a S&W 60. My dad gave it to me in the mid 70s and the quality is excellent. I haven't fired many rounds through it, but it is very accurate. I don't know about the modern Rossis, but if they are built like mine, no worries. i'd buy one.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #10

Liked 663 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Never shot a Rossi but Valentino Rossi won today so it must be good.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington