Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Rossi Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrysriggs View Post
Yes, Rossi and Taurus both were out source parts suppliers for S&W back in late 50's and early 60's. Then somewhere about 64 or 65 they acquired license to manufacture fire arms under their own brands.
My understanding was Taurus WAS the S&W manufacturer in South America and eventually was spun off and sold. They eventually acquired Rossi a coupla years ago...

Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcrona View Post
What is with the ported barrel extension? I have never seen anything like this on a revolver before.
I was told by my BIL, who is a d**k, but was a firearms telemarketer that all guns imported have to have a barrel of at least three inches so a shorter one has an extension that is cut off once it gets here for resale and is refinished.

Anyway, it is in fact an integral 3/4" compensater on a 2-1/2" barreled .357 Magnum. It's kinda a stainless reinforced K frame in some regards I'd say. I first saw these in an Interarms catalog (some of you remember them) and thought "what a joke."

However, Rossi had grown up faster than I did. It was named manufacturer of the year and I actually looked at this gun, in hand, and was surprised by its design, quality, and finish (and I machine as one of my hobbies). I lived in a place at the time that DID have a limit of 3" on a barrel for other than home protection or carry, and bought the beautiful ugly duckling, eventually carrying it in a somewhat official role for some years. And other times too...

PS: I think the choice and selection of ammo for your wife is excellent -- You get an "A." Use, but don't abuse, the gun in moderate practice... It has a special purpose at home.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 02-19-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis

I was told by my BIL, who is a d**k, but was a firearms telemarketer that all guns imported have to have a barrel of at least three inches so a shorter one has an extension that is cut off once it gets here for resale and is refinished.

Anyway, it is in fact an integral 3/4" compensater on a 2-1/2" barreled .357 Magnum. It's kinda a stainless reinforced K frame in some regards I'd say. I first saw these in an Interarms catalog (some of you remember them) and thought "what a joke."

However, Rossi had grown up faster than I did. It was named manufacturer of the year and I actually looked at this gun, in hand, and was surprised by its design, quality, and finish (and I machine as one of my hobbies). I lived in a place at the time that DID have a limit of 3" on a barrel for other than home protection or carry, and bought the beautiful ugly duckling, eventually carrying it in a somewhat official role for some years. And other times too...

PS: I think the choice and selection of ammo for your wife is excellent -- You get an "A." Use, but don't abuse, the gun in moderate practice... It has a special purpose at home.
I too was impressed with the fit and finish of the Rossi and I am a Manufacturing Engineer who spent most of my career in metal cutting industries. I am curious what exactly you meant by "use, but don't abuse the gun in moderate practice." what would you consider abuse?

Ken

Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My wife surprised me today and told me that she applied for her carry permit. I'm so proud!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #25

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I almost bought a Rossi 357 with a 2" barrel today for my wife. Stainless with black rubber grips. Asking $359.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
I almost bought a Rossi 357 with a 2" barrel today for my wife. Stainless with black rubber grips. Asking $359.
That is a great price. Buy it!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcrona View Post
I too was impressed with the fit and finish of the Rossi and I am a Manufacturing Engineer who spent most of my career in metal cutting industries. I am curious what exactly you meant by "use, but don't abuse the gun in moderate practice." what would you consider abuse?

Ken
I had PM'd Ken...

...I look at things as having a useful life. Nothing lasts forever. The gun you purchased is primarily for your (wife's) home protection. That's important and you want to balance its experienced use with perfect reliability. You all need to practice with it regularly. More at first. But it isn't a fun-to-shoot competitive target pistol. It isn't for entertainment per se. Not for sport shooting first and foremost so don't treat it as such. Get a similar-framed gun in .22 if that's what you want too...

Learn this new gun intimately. Put yourselves and the arm through their paces. But please don't just use it casually, punching paper to make noise, busting caps, putting box after box after box of powerful ammo through it often...

"Save some of it up" for if and when you really need it. I was encouraging some moderation. You've done great so far -- keep it up.

Be safe and enjoy!

And good for Mrs. Crona expanding her options!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 02-22-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I shot the new Rossi .357 for the first time today. I took it to therange along with the Beretta 96A1 and the Glock 27. I fired six rounds of 130 grain .38 special ammo that I bought for my wife and I think the recoil is low enough for her use. I also fired some .357 ammo that I bought for my use and I was impressed with the accuracy having only a 2" barrel. What a great gun!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I shot the lil snubby I had better than my 1911, it had me surprised too how well it would shoot

Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #30

Default Rossi Revolvers

Purchase Rossi 38 SPL. for my wife in 1997 ish, it is plus P rated and have had no problems with it.