Rossi r972 357
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Rossi r972 357

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Rossi r972 357

Are the Rossi r972 357s any good

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does. XD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2011, 05:25 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem870forever View Post
Are the Rossi r972 357s any good
They are decent. Most of them need a bit of trigger work but for a starter gun you could do worse.
I've done work on several Rossi revolvers and they all have one thing in common, poor internal surface finish, once you get past that its all good as far as my experience goes. They're never going to be as good as a Smith and Wesson 686 but its a nice start, know what I'm saying?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ya but im on a low budget

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does. XD

Old 12-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem870forever View Post
Ya but im on a low budget
i have shot a couple in the past, as long as you are not expecting a S-W or a Colt, or a Ruger, then you will be fine. they are okay pistols IMO, just not great.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #5

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I have a Rossi 917 (357) & love it - It actually lives in my truck 24/7
SA trigger is light & crisp & DA pull is a bit long & heavy (natually) but pretty smooth--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #6

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I think they would be fine for the person that only shoots a box or so of shells a year. If you want to be a steady shooter of 357 mags then save up for a name brand.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I think they would be fine for the person that only shoots a box or so of shells a year. If you want to be a steady shooter of 357 mags then save up for a name brand.
Bullspit
I've shot Rossi/Taurus revolvers for many yrs with hundreds of rds thru them - some over a thousand ----Name Brand my ear ringin butt
You need to refrain from giving your non exsperienced gun brand naming "from what you've heard" stuff on down the road & not try to repeat it here to a guy that wants the truth about a gun from guys that actually know what they're talking about If you say a Rossi is only good for "a box or so a year" you are non-informed, FOS, & basicly just not qualified to say anything

Rant over- Guys like this just piss me off

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 12-11-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Bullspit
I've shot Rossi/Taurus revolvers for many yrs with hundreds of rds thru them - some over a thousand ----Name Brand my ear ringin butt
You need to refrain from giving your non exsperienced gun brand naming "from what you've heard" stuff on down the road & not try to repeat it here to a guy that wants the truth about a gun from guys that actually know what they're talking about If you say a Rossi is only good for "a box or so a year" you are non-informed, FOS, & basicly just not qualified to say anything

Rant over- Guys like this just piss me off
Let's see if this is enough experience for you. I've owned at least six Rossis that I recall; two Win 92 clones, a 20 ga coach gun, a 22 pump, a 38 special revolver and a stainless 22. I spent a lot of time trying to get the 92s smooth enough to be acceptable and finally managed, but I know from experience that Rossi's internal machining is rough. None of the Rossis was acceptable accurate, feeding was fair, finish ran the spectrum from fair to poor and I finally decided to stop wasting my time with them. I sold off all of them except the 22 revolver, which I kept as a reminder against the unlikely event I ever got the urge to buy another Rossi.

I do disagree with the former poster that a Rossi won't last more than a box a year; you can shoot them for several boxes and they probably won't fall apart. They'll just be rough, inaccurate and poorly finished.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
Let's see if this is enough experience for you. I've owned at least six Rossis that I recall; two Win 92 clones, a 20 ga coach gun, a 22 pump, a 38 special revolver and a stainless 22. I spent a lot of time trying to get the 92s smooth enough to be acceptable and finally managed, but I know from experience that Rossi's internal machining is rough. None of the Rossis was acceptable accurate, feeding was fair, finish ran the spectrum from fair to poor and I finally decided to stop wasting my time with them. I sold off all of them
Quote:
except the 22 revolver, which I kept as a reminder against the unlikely event I ever got the urge to buy another Rossi.
I do disagree with the former poster that a Rossi won't last more than a box a year; you can shoot them for several boxes and they probably won't fall apart. They'll just be rough, inaccurate and poorly finished.
I can totally buy that

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As much as I hate to use this phrase it does apply in this situation.
You get what you pay for.
Rossi or rather Taurus the parent company is a growing business so making mass amounts of firearms that are affordable for the casual shooter or someone who's looking for an economical way into the shooting sport is their general goal.

Pumping out hundreds of guns at a time doesnt give the company the time to have their machines do a lot of finish cutting, which takes longer. Time is money and they dont have a lot of money to spend because of their competition so they have to cut a corner somewhere.

I'd much rather a company cut a corner on something I can fix with a couple of easy to get tools such as internal finish than something like barrel threads or timing on the revolver. A few passes with a coarse stone followed by a finer grit, a thuriough cleaning and the trigger feels a good deal better on most Rossi pistols.
Playing with the spring weights can improve that even more, but if the weak handed women in my family can deal with the original double action trigger pull on all the Rossi's (22s, 38/357s, and 44s included) I've ever worked on then I know the OP can.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.