Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Rossi 357? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/rossi-357-a-14060/)

CastleKing 05-22-2009 07:08 PM

Rossi 357?

Hi all,

I am looking for a 357 to buy and keep as a home defense handgun. I don't currently have any revolvers and I like the fact that a 357 will also fire .38s. I have shot both S&W and Ruger 357s and like them both. I recently found a Rossi 357 with a 4" barrel for around $369. The same firearm from either S&W or Ruger would run $550 - $600. Does anyone have any experience with Rossi revolvers? Are they dependable, accurate?
Thanks!

KingTiger 05-22-2009 08:13 PM

I got my GF the 4" blued .357 for Christmas. I couldn't afford the Smiths or Rugers at that time either. I chose it due to the smaller grip size & being able to shoot .38 SPL. I've just shot .38's thru it so far and they've all gone bang no problem. In single action I can shoot it more accurately than my Glock 22. The double action trigger pull is pretty heavy, hopefully it'll lighten up with more use. It's not a S&W trigger pull in single action, but not bad. The sights are nice and the finish is excellent.

spittinfire 05-22-2009 08:20 PM

My dad has one with a 6" barrel he picked up cheap somewhere, and so far it's been a great gun. I've got a 6" S&W model 19 and while the smith does have better fit & finish and a better trigger, the Rossi holds its own. Its accurate and has handled everything we've thrown at it. i'd shop around a little bit more though, that price sounds a bit on the high side.

RL357Mag 05-22-2009 10:59 PM

I've had a stainless 4" Rossi Mod. 971 VRC (Vent Rib - Compensated) since 1993 and it works beautifully - it's accurate and comfortable to shoot. It's actually a 3" barrel since the compensator takes up the last inch. I had an issue with the rear sight having to be moved too far to one side to zero the gun, so I sent it back to Rossi and they re-barreled it for free. I shoot mainly .38Spl +P to prevent undue wear and tear. I paid $282 for it new.

kcolg 05-22-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastleKing (Post 108182)
Hi all,

I am looking for a 357 to buy and keep as a home defense handgun. I don't currently have any revolvers and I like the fact that a 357 will also fire .38s. I have shot both S&W and Ruger 357s and like them both. I recently found a Rossi 357 with a 4" barrel for around $369. The same firearm from either S&W or Ruger would run $550 - $600. Does anyone have any experience with Rossi revolvers? Are they dependable, accurate?
Thanks!

Not to say Rossi guns are not good but if this revolver is going to be your only self defense gun I would feel more confident with either the S&W or the Ruger, maybe you can get a good used one for that money,just my 2 cents

WDB 05-23-2009 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Rossi stainless Steel 971 3 1/4" heavy barrel with target sites. It's not as smooth as the S&W's I own but over all a decent pistol. I think I paid about $300 for it slightly used in the box and I would buy another if I found it. I've shot about 800 357 mag rounds through it over the past couple of years with out an issue and it still looks and operates like new. I'm pretty happy with the pistol, the trigger could be better but other than that it's a good pistol and I'm confident if needed it would do what I needed it to do.

RL357Mag 05-23-2009 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 108303)
I have a Rossi stainless Steel 971 3 1/4" heavy barrel with target sites. It's not as smooth as the S&W's I own but over all a decent pistol. I think I paid about $300 for it slightly used in the box and I would buy another if I found it. I've shot about 800 357 mag rounds through it over the past couple of years with out an issue and it still looks and operates like new. I'm pretty happy with the pistol, the trigger could be better but other than that it's a good pistol and I'm confident if needed it would do what I needed it to do.

If you look at that gun closely you'll notice the barrel is actually pressed-in to that big barrel shroud. I have the same gun with a holes drilled into the end of the shroud - they call it a "compensator"..without the compensator my barrel would have been 1" longer.

paksalot 10-29-2009 10:03 PM

rossi

hi there this my first post and am sweating bullits.i am thinking about buying a rossi myself. and I am also looking to learn about guns in general so if i make a mistake let me know.
my rossi is chrome, has a four inch barrel and the cylider has no groves, the single action pull is very smooth, the squeeze on the trigger pull is even a little tuff. the guy i am buying it from is someone i work with, i bought 50 reloads for 8 bucks .38 specials. he is allowing me to fire and basically hang on to it till i make buyers decsion , he is asking 275 for it is this decent. from all the boards i have read it seems a fair price.

WDB 10-30-2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paksalot (Post 179833)
hi there this my first post and am sweating bullits.i am thinking about buying a rossi myself. and I am also looking to learn about guns in general so if i make a mistake let me know.
my rossi is chrome, has a four inch barrel and the cylider has no groves, the single action pull is very smooth, the squeeze on the trigger pull is even a little tuff. the guy i am buying it from is someone i work with, i bought 50 reloads for 8 bucks .38 specials. he is allowing me to fire and basically hang on to it till i make buyers decsion , he is asking 275 for it is this decent. from all the boards i have read it seems a fair price.

I doubt it is chrome finish, expect it is stainles steel. Since you have the pistol in your position take it a local gun smith, have them check it out for condition and value. With out pictures and model number it's hard to say if it's worth the price.

Thanks for reading the older post before asking the question