Revolvers and rimless ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Revolvers and rimless ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Revolvers and rimless ammo

I finally convinced my dad his growing collection needs at least one wheel gun. Being the good son I am, I pushed him towards a GP100 or a Smith 686. He doesn't want to stock another caliber so he's going for the S&W 625. Besides needing moon clips, are there any other differences compared to a traditional revolver (chambered for .357 mag, etc)?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Nope. They are the large N frames and are really spiffy guns. Used to have 2 of them - one of the few times I miss something I traded away...

Old 08-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #3

Since the concept of loading rimless cartridges (45 ACP) in a revolver with moon clips (half or full) dates back to 1917 and the 357 Magnum wasn't introduced until 1935...you might re-think what you consider a "traditional revolver".

Dave

RSVN Oct '69 - May '71
PSCD Ret.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Since the concept of loading rimless cartridges (45 ACP) in a revolver with moon clips (half or full) dates back to 1917 and the 357 Magnum wasn't introduced until 1935...you might re-think what you consider a "traditional revolver".

Dave
I learn new things everyday

Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #5

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I had assumed by "traditional revolver" he meant one chambered for revolver cartridges, i.e., long, straight cases, prominent rim, not necessarily a .357 Magnum.

One thing to consider for reloading auto pistol cartridges for use in revolvers is the lack of a crimp as normally used for pistol cartridges. Bullet pull in the revolver can unseat the bullets and pull them forward. This results in erratic ignition. And, don't overdo revolver ammo. Many of my reloads worked fine in my Ruger and Smith revolvers, but could damage an auto pistol.

Bob Wright

Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I like the N frames! I have a 25-2 here that I love to shoot. I'm bad for trading away wheel guns but I have held on to this one for years now. Best of luck and maybe post a range report?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
I had assumed by "traditional revolver" he meant one chambered for revolver cartridges, i.e., long, straight cases, prominent rim, not necessarily a .357 Magnum.

One thing to consider for reloading auto pistol cartridges for use in revolvers is the lack of a crimp as normally used for pistol cartridges. Bullet pull in the revolver can unseat the bullets and pull them forward. This results in erratic ignition. And, don't overdo revolver ammo. Many of my reloads worked fine in my Ruger and Smith revolvers, but could damage an auto pistol.

Bob Wright
That is exactly what I meant. I don't reload my own ammo yet (i plan to eventually). Thanks for the tip though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I like the N frames! I have a 25-2 here that I love to shoot. I'm bad for trading away wheel guns but I have held on to this one for years now. Best of luck and maybe post a range report?
I'll gladly post a range report. it will probably take some time though. My dad lives in Michigan, I'm in Ohio, and my work schedule blows.