Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Revolvers and rimless ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/revolvers-rimless-ammo-31003/)

KBlue 08-28-2010 02:16 PM

Revolvers and rimless ammo

I finally convinced my dad his growing collection needs at least one wheel gun. Being the good son I am, I pushed him towards a GP100 or a Smith 686. He doesn't want to stock another caliber so he's going for the S&W 625. Besides needing moon clips, are there any other differences compared to a traditional revolver (chambered for .357 mag, etc)?

NGIB 08-28-2010 02:19 PM

Nope. They are the large N frames and are really spiffy guns. Used to have 2 of them - one of the few times I miss something I traded away...

Dave T 08-29-2010 05:04 PM

Since the concept of loading rimless cartridges (45 ACP) in a revolver with moon clips (half or full) dates back to 1917 and the 357 Magnum wasn't introduced until 1935...you might re-think what you consider a "traditional revolver".

Dave

KBlue 08-30-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave T (Post 340686)
Since the concept of loading rimless cartridges (45 ACP) in a revolver with moon clips (half or full) dates back to 1917 and the 357 Magnum wasn't introduced until 1935...you might re-think what you consider a "traditional revolver".

Dave

I learn new things everyday ;)

Bob Wright 09-01-2010 03:32 PM

I had assumed by "traditional revolver" he meant one chambered for revolver cartridges, i.e., long, straight cases, prominent rim, not necessarily a .357 Magnum.

One thing to consider for reloading auto pistol cartridges for use in revolvers is the lack of a crimp as normally used for pistol cartridges. Bullet pull in the revolver can unseat the bullets and pull them forward. This results in erratic ignition. And, don't overdo revolver ammo. Many of my reloads worked fine in my Ruger and Smith revolvers, but could damage an auto pistol.

Bob Wright

DrumJunkie 09-01-2010 03:44 PM

I like the N frames! I have a 25-2 here that I love to shoot. I'm bad for trading away wheel guns but I have held on to this one for years now. Best of luck and maybe post a range report?

KBlue 09-02-2010 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Wright (Post 342617)
I had assumed by "traditional revolver" he meant one chambered for revolver cartridges, i.e., long, straight cases, prominent rim, not necessarily a .357 Magnum.

One thing to consider for reloading auto pistol cartridges for use in revolvers is the lack of a crimp as normally used for pistol cartridges. Bullet pull in the revolver can unseat the bullets and pull them forward. This results in erratic ignition. And, don't overdo revolver ammo. Many of my reloads worked fine in my Ruger and Smith revolvers, but could damage an auto pistol.

Bob Wright

That is exactly what I meant. I don't reload my own ammo yet (i plan to eventually). Thanks for the tip though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 342628)
I like the N frames! I have a 25-2 here that I love to shoot. I'm bad for trading away wheel guns but I have held on to this one for years now. Best of luck and maybe post a range report?

I'll gladly post a range report. it will probably take some time though. My dad lives in Michigan, I'm in Ohio, and my work schedule blows.