Revolvers, because I don't trust my life to a RECOIL SPRING. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Revolvers, because I don't trust my life to a RECOIL SPRING.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddy View Post
Gee, don't revolvers have springs, too?
Exactly. That 642 is not a whole lot of good if the rebound slide spring fails or locks up.

And welcome aboard, Ruddy!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

"Revolvers, because I don't trust my life to a RECOIL SPRING."

Had to respond to the heading, I have often heard this and thought what? don't revolvers have moving parts? I have never had a problem with any of my semi-autos that a re-rac of the slide didn't fix pronto. So I bought my first revolver this past Christmas a S&W model 629 .44mag took it to the range and on the second shot the firing pin broke and the cylinder, hammer and trigger locked up tight, it was broke and there was no fixing it, so had I been in a life threating situation I would have probably been killed, so I sent it back to S&W they fixed it pretty quick, I take it back to the range and fire44 shots and on the 45th the firing pin breaks again and it all locks up just like before, well S&W replaced it, and so far its holding up pretty well after several hundred shots of various types of ammo, but I'm just saying if it's Man-made it can fail no matter what it is.

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

fapprez Likes This 
Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #13

I think we can all agree that if it is a machine with moving parts it can break down. Sometimes it seems even gun makers send out a lemon. But as examples I have a Beretta 9000 and Neos both with over 2000 rounds and no issues. Heck, I have a Hi Point C9 with over 3500 rounds and no sign of slowing down. And that's on a gun that cost $150 N.I.B. With these I could say I have no problems relying on a spring. However, given Murphy's Law I tend to always carry a small backup because I know things go wrong at the worst times. And yes, most of the time my backup is a snubby but occasionally it's just a small pocket semi.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #14

New guy chiming in on the revolver vs semi-auto discussion.

My experience is that revolvers are more reliable over several boxes of ammo than autos. It seems like a coincidence as I read this thread, because I left the range with a nice new Kimber .45 last week, after several trips with that weapon, very disappointed.

I read in the manual that 500 rounds is recommended as a "break in" for the weapon before complete reliability can be expected, but as time went on and several trips out there and about 1200 rounds into shooting the thing I gave up. No stove pipes, but hang-fires about every other magazine or so, adding up to dozens. The slide just would not feed all the way forward, resulting in the new round being partially chambered and having to pound on it with the heel of my hand sometimes several times before I could get it to fire. Also, because of the way it stuck, the safety could not be engaged, a truly hazardous situation and I was lucky it was happening at the range and not in an emergency situation of any kind.

I took it back to the store here in town and they took it into their indoor testing range. They came out telling me it was defective and offered a refund or another weapon, anything I wanted in the price range. I took the money.

I've had 1911s stove pipe, Rugers and even a darned Glock. But I've never, ever had an issue with any revolver I've shot. I'm very careful about cleaning and maintenance, and not over oiling etc. The only revolver problem I had was a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 spl that I'd handloaded way to hot: blew the top strap off at the range and I learned my lesson about trying to get magnum specs out of a non-magnum weapon.

But I have to say that I'm wary of autos in self defense now, and always carry my favorite revolver, a nice heavy (by today's standards), but stubby Rossi:

Last edited by Spider; 05-07-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #15

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Wooops, recoil spring.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Wooops, recoil spring.

Tell me will this spring give you stove pipes or fail to chamber a round, it would have to break to cause a failure, which it could, my trouble with the recoil spring in my G19 is the gun is new the spring is new and it jams.

Ruger SR1911 45acp
Ruger GP-100 4"
Ruger LCP
Kahr PM9
Glock 26 gen 4
S&W 642
Ruger Mark III 22lr
High Standards 9 shot revolver

Old 05-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Wooops, recoil spring.
Not exactly. The function of that spring is to return the trigger to the forward position. It has no effect on bringing another round into battery, and it has no effect on firing pin strike quality.

Even if this spring fails the trigger can be returned to the forward position by placing your trigger finger behind the trigger and pushing it forward. Do you want to know something really funny? This action can be performed without even taking the sights off target.

So how do I know this? I had another auto-loader fan argue this point with me a few years back. To prove my point I removed the rebound spring from my S&W Mod 19, put it in my pocket, reassembled the weapon and fired the PPC course against the clock. My 7 yard 12 round time did drop from my average 11 seconds to 13 seconds, but no shots were outside the K5 area at any distance using both strong and weak hand.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
Tell me will this spring give you stove pipes or fail to chamber a round, it would have to break to cause a failure, which it could, my trouble with the recoil spring in my G19 is the gun is new the spring is new and it jams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Not exactly. The function of that spring is to return the trigger to the forward position. It has no effect on bringing another round into battery, and it has no effect on firing pin strike quality.

Even if this spring fails the trigger can be returned to the forward position by placing your trigger finger behind the trigger and pushing it forward. Do you want to know something really funny? This action can be performed without even taking the sights off target.

So how do I know this? I had another auto-loader fan argue this point with me a few years back. To prove my point I removed the rebound spring from my S&W Mod 19, put it in my pocket, reassembled the weapon and fired the PPC course against the clock. My 7 yard 12 round time did drop from my average 11 seconds to 13 seconds, but no shots were outside the K5 area at any distance using both strong and weak hand.
We, overly defensive are, hmm? Yes, hmmm.

I think you missed my sarcastic point. [UPDATE: Upon reflection, and after reviewing both of your post counts/start dates, it is evident that you have not sampled my, albeit poorly executed, wit long enough to appreciate/reject its value. To that point this follow-up sarcastic dog piling will be of little value. And for you Steve, being from SPO infested Swartz Creek; you'll just need to take notes to keep up. (< Please note smiley's.)]

I'll try to dumb it down a little the next time.

At minimum, add a smiley.
sarcastic-shirts-sarcasm-343919_458_444.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 05-08-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: My act of contrition to the new guys

Old 05-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #19

strong recommendation. Order Wolf springs for each and every auto you own. Then, by and large, your issues will be taken care of.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #20

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Not here to rag on your firearms as I'm not sure what you have done to/with them....but in-efficient product parts is why companies make aftermarket parts...