revolver for wife, concealed carry - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > revolver for wife, concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

My carry gun is a S&W bodyguard, .380. I carry it on the belt with a Fobus paddle, IWB with a Sof-Tuk, or in a pocket in a cheap pocket holster. It's small enough to put in a purse, a fanny pack or other means if she desires.
My next carry gun will probably be a 442 as well, or some other J frame.
Do you have a range which rents guns nearby? Hands on is always the best way to choose the next gun.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #22

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Again, thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like the S&W 442 is a solid platform. Now, we just need to see how she likes it and how well it fits her hand. The battle is 1/2 won as she's got a friend that carries something similar (not sure what model, but it's a small frame revolver).

TekGreg - that's a good point, but I'll have to echo AR10's comments - my wife's only into shooting out of necessity for self defense (for now, maybe later this will change).

Finally, when considering revolver vs automatic, I don't like the idea of giving up rounds either but something she'll carry is better than something which gets left in the closet (like our G21 and G19). Rather than a "stand and fight" approach, the tactic we'll train on will be a "shoot to get away" / "make an exit". Of course, this is a completely different discussion which is getting OT.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Last edited by jp_over; 08-19-2013 at 06:49 AM.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #23
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_over
Again, thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like the S&W 442 is a solid platform. Now, we just need to see how she likes it and how well it fits her hand. The battle is 1/2 won as she's got a friend that carries something similar (not sure what model, but it's a small frame revolver).

TekGreg - that's a good point, but I'll have to echo AR10's comments - my wife's only into shooting out of necessity for self defense (for now, maybe later this will change).

Finally, when considering revolver vs automatic, I don't like the idea of giving up rounds either but something she'll carry is better than something which gets left in the closet (like our G21 and G19). Rather than a "stand and fight" approach, the tactic we'll train on will be a "shoot to get away" / "make an exit". Of course, this is a completely different discussion which is getting OT.
I've mentioned a few times that my wife is "autoloader Phobic." When we go to a GS I let her handle whatever she wants. a few months back I "had" to have these Police trade in FEG .32's....mostly because they were "less expensive" because of age.
Now that WE had to Get new 9's for Volunteer LE work,..she's coming around a bit on both the .32 and the 2 Beretta's we got for duty....and that's only because I have an M9-22 for her to practice on....
As far as She is concerned,..she loves revolvers, so she carries an LCR 38+P with the Houge Tamer(same grip on her SP101)
As long as she has my 6 and can hit what she aims at, I don't care what it's with unless the Defecation Meets the wind....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
jp_over Likes This 
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_over View Post

Saying that you are "giving up rounds" with a revolver sounds like the ultimate sacrifice, but it doesn't have to be that way. Practice, man, practice. Go get some snap caps in the appropriate caliber and practice your reloading.

I know for a fact that 12 rounds can be put through a S&W Mod 19 in 11 seconds. I know because I have done it probably hundreds of times, and that's loading the second six loose out of your pocket. Speed-loaders were unheard of back then. I don't know if they even existed. If memory serves me Bianchi's Speed Strips were just coming on the market.

In our entire academy class no one was slower than 14 seconds. That's an average of 1.1 rounds per second for the slowest shooter with roughly half of us delivering accurate fire at 0.9 rounds per second. Will that change in a gunfight? Yes, but thanks to muscle memory, not by much. Everybody will slow down, but with the advent of speed-loaders it wouldn't surprise me for today's shooters to beat our times, even under pressure.
jp_over Likes This 
Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

I know for a fact that 12 rounds can be put through a S&W Mod 19 in 11 seconds.
If you're Jerry Miculek you can do it in 2.99 seconds. Not sure which model Smith he used, but here's the video. He's fun to watch.

http://youtu.be/lLk1v5bSFPw

Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Jerry cheats. He used a speed loader.<grin>

Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
Jerry cheats. He used a speed loader.<grin>
Actually he cheated even more because he used a full moon clip.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #28

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Jerry Miculek should not ever be used in handgun comparisons.....he is from another planet.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #29

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

I highly recommend the S&W 642 Airweight .38 five shot revolver. It is small, light, accurate and powerful. Mild recoil. Loaded with +P ammo it makes a great CC weapon.
jp_over Likes This 
Old 08-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #30

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

No doubt you should try the S&W, but don't forget about the ruger LCR. My wife ended up getting the LCR after shooting and playing with both. I also ended up falling in live with it, and steal it when she isn't carrying it. Better grip, and MUCH better trigger in my opinion than the others. We use a remora holster and have really liked it.
jp_over Likes This