revolver for wife, concealed carry - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > revolver for wife, concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Wow - lot's of calls to check out other platforms/calibers/let her choose. I might be out of the box here, but I like to figure out the best basic fit (ballistics, size/form factor, action - revolver in this case, reliability, etc.) and then you simply train on it. A carry weapon that has proven reliability problems or is a sub-par caliber (in my opinion as the family ballistician at least! )simply doesn't make sense if it's chosen for fit, aesthetics, small form factor, or any other reason.

However, I do appreciate the feedback.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Old 08-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_over View Post
Wow - lot's of calls to check out other platforms/calibers/let her choose. I might be out of the box here, but I like to figure out the best basic fit (ballistics, size/form factor, action - revolver in this case, reliability, etc.) and then you simply train on it. A carry weapon that has proven reliability problems or is a sub-par caliber (in my opinion as the family ballistician at least! )simply doesn't make sense if it's chosen for fit, aesthetics, small form factor, or any other reason.

However, I do appreciate the feedback.
I basically agree with you. If she wants the wheel gun get it and don't look back.

My wife picked out her M&P on her own but she doesn't CC yet. She has admitted she might get a smaller gun when she gets her permit, since the M&P is a full size.

She trusts me implicitly about guns but basically she will only ask for input. If she picks out a gun that I know has had problems I will tell her. At the end of the day though, she will make the call, with my input.

I'm not saying don't narrow it down for her. Do what works best for you two. If she trusts your judgement to narrow it down, great.

I wouldn't listen to the people trying to recommend other guns. Yes they're great guns. But them recommending a gun for your wife is even worse than you recommending a gun for your wife, IMO. You at least know her and know what her size is, what her ability is, what her likes and dislikes are, etc. They know nothing about her so their recommendations can therefore only be based off their own likes.

Flame me if you want guys. Just my opinion.

I will say I think recommending the Shield just because she's shot a Glock doesn't make sense to me. The Shield had a thumb safety while a Glock doesn't.

I do love me a revolver, though.

Ok I've rambled enough. :Confused:

Always have clean socks.

jp_over Likes This 
Old 08-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #13

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I will not give up rounds if I can get a semi-auto vs. a revolver. too many punk bad guys that travel in packs out there.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default S&w 442

The 442 revolver is my favorite for carry. They just can't be beat. I also carry a speed-loader or strip. Snub-nosed revolvers are designed for up close and personal use and this one sure fits the bill. Dogwalk

Old 08-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My wife carries a Taurus revolver in 38 special. I don't remember the model but it is a nice little short barreled perfect for her handgun. Cost just over $200.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

I have a problem with the "Buy the gun and shoot it until its comfortable" mindset. While humans are adaptable and this can be done, everyone has held a gun that felt and pointed better than every other gun they ever handled. When in a life-threatening situation, your skill level drops to the LOWEST level of training you have practiced repeatedly. For most people, this is equivalent to a basic-trained shooter who practices infrequently. A gun that fits, feels and points the best for that individual person will serve better and more accurately in a highly stressed situation.

Also, skills are built through practice. Which gun are you more likely to want to practice with; The gun someone picked out for you and said, "Here, learn to shoot it because it's all we have," or the gun you researched, handled, purchased and absolutely love? All guns fit different people in different ways and no amount of research can tell you how it will feel to someone else. A personal protection weapon is an extremely personal item and should only be purchased by the individual. By all means, counsel your significant others if you have more knowledge, but don't choose the action, caliber, color, capacity or barrel length until they see it and hold it! A spouse that will actually use and practice with their gun is not only less likely to be a victim, but more likely to join you in the sport and therefore support your purchases! That means both sides are happy!

I originally thought my wife would like a nice single-stack 9mm due to her smaller hands. I took her to the range and we went through every caliber they had from .22 to .45, revolver and automatic, magnum and standard rounds. The rental and ammo cost was over $200 and showed one thing very clearly: I was completely wrong. My wife LOVED the ParaOrdnance double-stack .45 most of all. That was two decades ago and to this day her home defense gun is a Glock 21 with a light/laser on the rail, and her EDC is a ParaOrdnance LDA CCW. That $200 of range time saved me a fortune on decades of buying guns she didn't like, bringing them home, having her either ignoring them or telling me to return it or resell it and then having to buy another one and going through the whole thing all over again. She is an avid shooter and I don't get grief when I buy a gun or ammo. That $200 range trip was the best money I ever invested - it saved me thousands! Now she does her own gun shopping and I go along and answer questions- the best of both worlds!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_over View Post
Doc - That Desantis looks nice; I've added it to the "to try" list. What holster does your daughter use for her purse?
Her purse is a dedicated carry purse. It comes with a holster in the compartment designated for concealed carry. It's very similar to an Uncle Mike's nylon one size fits nothing and is attached with Velcro to the inside of the gun compartment. There is Velcro on each side of the holster so it can be adapted for right or left hand shooters. Honestly, about the only thing the holster does is keep the gun oriented so the butt is always in the same place. Retention is achieved by the zipper on the compartment.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 949 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Some of our wives are not into guns. It is like me spending time in a fabric store.

I am lucky if I can get a gun in her hand, any gun, for any length of time.

My wife has her CC permit, but her job restricts her from having a gun at work in her car (prison)

Because most all of her driving revolves around work, her inability to have a gun, makes it pointless in her mind to bother training with one.

She is also confused by mechanical objects. A door without a door knob has a 25% chance of being addressed correctly for push, pull and right or left swing. A door knob door, and she now has a 50% chance of walking right through it.

Is this a woman thing? Just her? Most likely just her, but I do recognize some people are not mechanical gadget efecientnadows.

I can break a Glock down without looking at it. Hands are all that are necessary. Only one hand, I can do that as well. My wife could no more break down a Glock, owners manual in hand, than she could fly.

I politely handed her an owner's manual for a home thermostat I replaced, this was years ago. She started to cry. She just does not want to learn mechanical or technical stuff, as a general rule.

Her choice of guns? She would not choose one. Not that she is against guns, any more than she is against thermostats.

Somethings need to be done for her. She wants me to pick her gun, show her how to use it, in her short attention span window, and it is up to me to see she can remember how to use it.

I can barely drag her to the range. She can load, unload, rack the slide, unjam, hit the target. Afterwords, she has that look, glad that is over. Same look when I take her sailing. Some people are not into what other people are into.

Last edited by AR10; 08-18-2013 at 11:30 AM.
People Like This 
Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
I have a problem with the "Buy the gun and shoot it until its comfortable" mindset. While humans are adaptable and this can be done, everyone has held a gun that felt and pointed better than every other gun they ever handled. When in a life-threatening situation, your skill level drops to the LOWEST level of training you have practiced repeatedly. For most people, this is equivalent to a basic-trained shooter who practices infrequently. A gun that fits, feels and points the best for that individual person will serve better and more accurately in a highly stressed situation.

Also, skills are built through practice. Which gun are you more likely to want to practice with; The gun someone picked out for you and said, "Here, learn to shoot it because it's all we have," or the gun you researched, handled, purchased and absolutely love? All guns fit different people in different ways and no amount of research can tell you how it will feel to someone else. A personal protection weapon is an extremely personal item and should only be purchased by the individual. By all means, counsel your significant others if you have more knowledge, but don't choose the action, caliber, color, capacity or barrel length until they see it and hold it! A spouse that will actually use and practice with their gun is not only less likely to be a victim, but more likely to join you in the sport and therefore support your purchases! That means both sides are happy!

I originally thought my wife would like a nice single-stack 9mm due to her smaller hands. I took her to the range and we went through every caliber they had from .22 to .45, revolver and automatic, magnum and standard rounds. The rental and ammo cost was over $200 and showed one thing very clearly: I was completely wrong. My wife LOVED the ParaOrdnance double-stack .45 most of all. That was two decades ago and to this day her home defense gun is a Glock 21 with a light/laser on the rail, and her EDC is a ParaOrdnance LDA CCW. That $200 of range time saved me a fortune on decades of buying guns she didn't like, bringing them home, having her either ignoring them or telling me to return it or resell it and then having to buy another one and going through the whole thing all over again. She is an avid shooter and I don't get grief when I buy a gun or ammo. That $200 range trip was the best money I ever invested - it saved me thousands! Now she does her own gun shopping and I go along and answer questions- the best of both worlds!
Have you ever wondered how many firearms in a person's collection were mistakes that they never should have bought? They read an article on the new and improved 11mm Shootsemup with pink and purple tuck and roll grips and can't wait to order one. The next thing you know it's in the back of the safe collecting rust while they go back online and try to find the next latest and greatest.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 AM   #20

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

Have you ever wondered how many firearms in a person's collection were mistakes that they never should have bought? They read an article on the new and improved 11mm Shootsemup with pink and purple tuck and roll grips and can't wait to order one. The next thing you know it's in the back of the safe collecting rust while they go back online and try to find the next latest and greatest.
I've done this more than I care to admit - and definitely more often than I want my wife to find out about. Though, in my case, the "offending" firearm will be sold off, not put in the back of a safe.

I suppose the one silver lining is that this has exposed me to lots of different guns and so now I know that the ones that do receive a permanent place in my safe have truly earned their spot.