Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   revolver for wife, concealed carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/revolver-wife-concealed-carry-95599/)

jp_over 08-17-2013 08:52 AM

revolver for wife, concealed carry

Friends,

I've been considering the S&W 442 for my wife's new carry weapon. Any experience with this platform & holster preferences for IWB?

Here's a link to the S&W site with more details:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766184_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

She's trained on Glocks but the Glock 19 I use is a bit large for her frame and I don't want another Glock 26 (not much smaller).

I think the model 442 would be better sized for extended carry. Certainly, it goes without saying that she and I will spent the requisite time for familiarization and drawing/shooting. Just looking for some folks who might have this as a daily carry and their take (good or bad).

Thanks!

Doc3402 08-17-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_over (Post 1337972)
Friends,

I've been considering the S&W 442 for my wife's new carry weapon. Any experience with this platform & holster preferences for IWB?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766184_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

She's trained on Glocks but the Glock 19 I use is a bit large for her frame and I don't want another Glock 26 (not much smaller).

I think the model 442 would be better sized for extended carry. Certainly, it goes without saying that she and I will spent the requisite time for familiarization and drawing/shooting. Just looking for some folks who might have this as a daily carry and their take (good or bad).

Thanks!

My daughter and I both have this gun. I use the Desantis Sof-Tuk #106 for IWB, and my daughter purse carries. We both like the guns, and I won't hesitate in recommending one. Also, give serious thought to the Desantis holster. You can adjust the cant on it for a more comfortable carry.

Rick1967 08-17-2013 10:22 AM

I have a 642 which I believe it is the same gun. But mine has the stupid internal lock. But it is a great gun. I have had mine for several years. I shot it a lot when I first got it. I have too many guns that I like for the range. So now it only gets shot once in a while. But it is truly a great gun. I trust my life with it. I do not carry it inside the waist band so I cant help you there. I do pocket carry in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. It has worked well for me.

hardluk1 08-17-2013 12:27 PM

jp Now why would you want to pick and buy your wifes carry pistol. Since she has trigger time behind a glock and if she is comfortable with the functioning of a stricker pistol let her pick what she wants and just pay for it if she want you to do that.

Would you be happy with her choice of cc pistol for you??

If she thinks a glock 19 is to big and wants a 26 that's her call. Maybe a shield or cw9 or bersa 9cc or thunder 380 double stack or a sig 250c may be more of what she wants .

Guess by now you have understand what I am getting at, It's not really about what you think is the just right handgun.

Axxe55 08-17-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 1338032)
jp Now why would you want to pick and buy your wifes carry pistol. Since she has trigger time behind a glock and if she is comfortable with the functioning of a stricker pistol let her pick what she wants and just pay for it if she want you to do that.

If she thinks a glock 19 is to big and wants a 26 that's her call. Maybe a shield or cw9 or bersa 9cc or thunder 380 double stack or a sig 250c may be more of what she wants .

Guess by now you have understand what I am getting at, It's not really about what you think is the just right handgun.

exactly! i agree.

let her pick what is better suited to her. not what you might think is suited for her. her choices might suprise you. a lot of men think they need to pick out their wife's gun for her. i disagree. would you pick out the CC pistol for your father, or brother or best friend? then why do men feel they need to for their wife? regardless of who the pistol is for, male or female, the person that would be carrying it is the one who should make the choice.

jp_over 08-17-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 1338032)

Good points & well taken. She trusts me to narrow down the choices/calibers but we'll definitely be trying some out before a purchase to see what fits her hand and what presents the most comfortable carry. She's a shooter out of necessity rather than something she's passionate about.

I don't remember if we tried the G26 with her when I had one but, if I recall, the 442 looks like it would be a fair amount easier to carry than the G26 - I might be off on this and will need to double check.

Believe me, if she doesn't like the options, she'll say so and ask for more choices! :D

wittmeba 08-17-2013 01:43 PM

If this is just for CCW and you are not locked into a revolver, take a look at the S&W M&P Shield. It is small, compact and comes in 9MM which is a good mid range caliber.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/ralph/gun-review-smith-wesson-mp9-shield/

jp_over 08-17-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc3402 (Post 1337982)
My daughter and I both have this gun. I use the Desantis Sof-Tuk #106 for IWB, and my daughter purse carries. We both like the guns, and I won't hesitate in recommending one. Also, give serious thought to the Desantis holster. You can adjust the cant on it for a more comfortable carry.

Doc - That Desantis looks nice; I've added it to the "to try" list. What holster does your daughter use for her purse?

Rick1967 - appreciate the insight. Man, that darn lock! It's sad that S&W tried so hard to please the liberals with it (who are basically insatiable when it comes to nonsense!).

Overkill0084 08-17-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_over (Post 1337972)
Friends,

Thanks!

What does she want? You keep say "I" this and "I" that, I can't help but wonder what "She" wants. You say she is already up to speed on the Glock 19, but "You" don't want another 26. Is she good with losing so much capacity? Going from a Glock 19 to a 5 shot revolver is quite a change.
I'm sure the revolver is perfectly fine, after all, it's hard to go wrong with a S&W snubbie.
That said, have you looked at the S&W Shield in 9mm? Seems like a more logical step from the Glock 19, IMHO. It's $10 cheaper too. ;)
EDIT:
If one has issues with the Shield, Springfield Armory has come out with the XDs in 9mm as well.

jimogden1984 08-17-2013 02:15 PM

If she shoots your G26 give it to her and then you get to go find another gun to replace it