Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Revolver for the wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with Cane... Stalking bear had some great info for me. He told me to go feel the LCR out and I did and loved it.

261.jpg   dsc02627.jpg  

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 AM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Be careful R.S. Gal...

I know it's late RSG when I had to read your last post twice to be sure that we were still talking about GUNS!!!!HA HA...

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 12-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would contact an NRA counselor to see what they suggest about getting a gun for the wife. I also know that in some cases you may want to start off with a .22 LR with a 4 inch barrel and then later on move to a .357 magnum revolver loaded with .38 spl target loads. Compact barrels often cause new or novice shooters to develop flinching because of the size of the pistol not being able to curb the recoil. There is a reason why the good ol' .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel was often a rookie cop's first gun: It was because they were easier to control and shoot and the recoil was not excessive.

But your local NRA counselor may have other ideas or advice to give you.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon 173 View Post
I would contact an NRA counselor to see what they suggest about getting a gun for the wife. I also know that in some cases you may want to start off with a .22 LR with a 4 inch barrel and then later on move to a .357 magnum revolver loaded with .38 spl target loads. Compact barrels often cause new or novice shooters to develop flinching because of the size of the pistol not being able to curb the recoil. There is a reason why the good ol' .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel was often a rookie cop's first gun: It was because they were easier to control and shoot and the recoil was not excessive.

But your local NRA counselor may have other ideas or advice to give you.
Thanks Recon and everyone else for the great advice. I do think we'll head to a range that "rents" different guns and start out small and work our way up. The most important thing I feel is getting her properly trained and I know I'm not the one to do it so I'll be signing her up for a ladies only class here locally so she can receive proper instruction. Then we'll go with what shes comfortable with. I just wanted so get some feedback from others in the "know". So thanks again and I'll hopefully be posting on a regular basis and I'll let you know how this all plays out!!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #25

Many women love the lightweight 13 1/2-oz. Ruger LCR and its sweet double-action trigger. Adding a Crimson Trace Laser to it will give the ladies even more confidence.

As for ammo, keep in mind that recoil is a major issue with women, so have them practice with the easy-going 148-gr. wadcutters first.

In my LCR, the short barrel STANDARD PRESSURE 158-gr. LSWCHP from Buffalo Bore shot to Point of Aim at 21' and had the LOWEST recoil of 7 brands of self-defense ammo, with Speer's 135-gr. Gold Dot load having the most / snappiest recoil. If in open areas where overpenetration isn't a concern at all, a hardcast wadcutter might be preferred:

Buffalo Bore Short Barrel:
** 158-gr. Standard Pressure Lead Semi-Wadcutter HP (20C) @ 854 fps in 2” barrel. Less recoil & similar velocity as Speer’s 135-gr. Gold Dot @ 860 fps.

Buffalo Bore Short Barrel Low Flash 158-gr. FBI Load

* 150-gr. Standard Pressure Hardcast Wadcutter (20D) @ 868 fps in 2” barrel.

Buffalo Bore Short Barrel 150-gr. Hardcast Wadcutter

Aim for the Thoracic Triangle area between the armpits and base of throat.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #26

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 147_Grain View Post
As for ammo, keep in mind that recoil is a major issue with women, so have them practice with the easy-going 148-gr. wadcutters first.
I'm not sure I'd agree with this. My wife THOUGHT she was recoil sensitive. But with exposure she is even up to .45acp out of a 5" 1911 and her only complaint was the weight of the gun. Seeing her lean into a S&W 642 with Remington 158gr +p LSWCHP was a really cool sight! It got me a little... Well, I won't go there with y'all.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face